Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heartburn Triggger - dairy - pregnancy

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:46 PM
  • 19 Replies

Hi ladies, a few weeks ago I started getting heartburn [right after Thanksgiving]. I noticed it was dairy issue as of today. I had a bagel and cream cheese, milk with coffee and then also some fruit for breakfast.

So, I am wondering.  How do you cook without dairy or what is a good NON dairy sub? I've been advised to stay away from soy and I don't see my midwife until next week and she said if I kept having heartburn she was going to do a three day elimination diet with me.

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cemcnair
by Courtney on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:47 PM
I use coconut milk to cook with, it does not taste like coconut. I have dairy issues as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
butterflyk1ssez
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I have no dairy issues unless i'm pregnant! Ha and I LOOOOOOVE ice cream and I LOOOOOVE milk. I could chug a gallon of stonybrook if I was able to or creamland [creamland is my favorite. I don't mind paying the extra dollar or two]. I drank coconut milk once and it was pretty watery and not like that thick and creamy consistency that I like about milk.

Quoting cemcnair:

I use coconut milk to cook with, it does not taste like coconut. I have dairy issues as well.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Hopefully you won't have those issues after this pregnancy.
cemcnair
by Courtney on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:25 PM
I'd already switched from using milk before I got pregnant this time, but even cheese and ice cream are bothering me while I'm pregnant. I just can't drink cow's milk after watching those videos. Yuck! Plus the horrible treatment of milk cow's is awful. I needed to give up the rest of dairy anyway, so pregnancy helped me do that!
I don't drink the coconut by itself. I just mainly drink water. I use the coconut to cook and in cereal.

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

I have no dairy issues unless i'm pregnant! Ha and I LOOOOOOVE ice cream and I LOOOOOVE milk. I could chug a gallon of stonybrook if I was able to or creamland [creamland is my favorite. I don't mind paying the extra dollar or two]. I drank coconut milk once and it was pretty watery and not like that thick and creamy consistency that I like about milk.

Quoting cemcnair:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
butterflyk1ssez
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I don't but my nurslings usually do if I drink or induldge in dairy products. Really gassy, lots of spit up, etc. I never really knew I was dairy intolerant until I started thinking about what I ate during the day during this pregnancy =[ it's really rough to be dairy free when a lot of my favorite things have them

Quoting Sarah725:

Hopefully you won't have those issues after this pregnancy.

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM

for butter I would recomend Earth Balance soy free prod-spread-soy-free

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:28 PM
I use and love almond milk.

Also, a shot of acv could help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I cook with rice milk because we deal w/ allergies to nuts as well as dairy.  But if I could I would use almond milk.  For a cheese sub that is soy, dairy free that actully melts there is Daiya cheese.  Use taco seasoning or garlic salt with it to make it better

butterflyk1ssez
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I know how bad cows are treated and stuff but it's really hard to think about that ice cold cup of milk being something different than what you think it is. I was a vegetarian before I had my son 3 years ago and didnt start eating meat proteins [fish and chicken] until then. And then now I try to eat as little meat protein as possible and get it from other places. I have this idea that cows run around rainbow painted clouds and the farmers pet them and feed them and treat them wonderful even though I KNOW that isn't the case. I really like the taste of milk though so I think that is my MAIN problem. I love the taste of chocolate soy milk and vanilla almond milk but I am pretty sure vanilla almond milk wont taste good in homemade mac n cheese that I make once a week for my son and husband. I guess it would be mega different if I didn't like the taste of milk but it's hard to just go dairy free during pregnancy when you have these cravings like acold up of milk with cookies and cookie dough ice cream and other stuff that has dairy or dairy products in it.

Quoting cemcnair:

I'd already switched from using milk before I got pregnant this time, but even cheese and ice cream are bothering me while I'm pregnant. I just can't drink cow's milk after watching those videos. Yuck! Plus the horrible treatment of milk cow's is awful. I needed to give up the rest of dairy anyway, so pregnancy helped me do that!
I don't drink the coconut by itself. I just mainly drink water. I use the coconut to cook and in cereal.

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

Quoting cemcnair:

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I really like the recipes from this site http://www.affairsofliving.com/recipe-index/  no dairy or soy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)