Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Glucose screening

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM
  • 21 Replies
So today I was told by my OB office that not only will they dismiss me as a patient if I refuse but that Georgia state law requires the test anyone know amyrhing about this if
It is true or not.
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow, that's ridiculous! I refused the 3hr test after "failing" the 1hr test (I vomited everywhere after drinking it so I knew I was going to fail). I ended up borrowing my MIL's spare glucose meter and took my blood sugar an hour before eating and an hour after eating for a week. Handed them all the readings I wrote down and that was that.
I highly doubt it's the law you have to take it, sounds like scare tactics to me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Have them show you the law. I highly doubt that's true, you always have the legal right to refuse any treatment.
But they can dismiss you if they are private practice.
But there is a gd test you can take w/o glucola, it's just a blood draw after an 8 hr fast (so before bfast). My mw told me about it when I refused glucola and that's what I did instead. Maybe ask them about that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs.Martinez201
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Well hope your baby's ok because its fasting and two hours.after meals, at an hour the sugar doesn't have time to have completely processed

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Wow, that's ridiculous! I refused the 3hr test after "failing" the 1hr test (I vomited everywhere after drinking it so I knew I was going to fail). I ended up borrowing my MIL's spare glucose meter and took my blood sugar an hour before eating and an hour after eating for a week. Handed them all the readings I wrote down and that was that.

I highly doubt it's the law you have to take it, sounds like scare tactics to me!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stormystar15
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Sounds like a scare tactic to me. They can dismiss you for whatever reason they want but I highly doubt it's the law. With my second my ob didn't even tell me I needed to have it done prob because there's no history of diabetes in my family and I didn't have GD with my oldest. You can always google it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I've only ever had a finger prick after a 2 hour fast.  It gives the same information as the drink version...  (This was offered through my midwife).

LuvAZmomma
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM
I tried googling it but found nothing. :(
Quoting stormystar15:

Sounds like a scare tactic to me. They can dismiss you for whatever reason they want but I highly doubt it's the law. With my second my ob didn't even tell me I needed to have it done prob because there's no history of diabetes in my family and I didn't have GD with my oldest. You can always google it

stormystar15
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I just googled and there seems to be no laws in any state that you HAVE to have the test done. Studies have shown that its not a 100% accurate test anyways. I would try and find a natural minded ob that wouldn't require it.

Quoting LuvAZmomma:

I tried googling it but found nothing. :(
Quoting stormystar15:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
She's 20 months old and in perfect health, born at 41 weeks weighing 7lbs. My MIL (who's been diabetic for many years), my OB, and the people I spoke to at the Joslin Diabetes Center (who were affiliated with my hospital/OB) all told me to do an hour before and an hour after. Just did what I was told lol. There were zero signs of me having GD, it wasn't a big deal.

Quoting mrs.Martinez201:

Well hope your baby's ok because its fasting and two hours.after meals, at an hour the sugar doesn't have time to have completely processed

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow. I don't know about Georgia, but here I didn't have to take a real glucose test with the sugar syrup. Ask if you can take one after having just eaten a real meal.  I did that with my dd and passed it with flying colors.  I'm sure that you, like me, don't make it a habit while pregnant to drink sugar syrup instead of food. 

mrs.Martinez201
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Most of my family is and I have gd n im a cma and have never heard that , but different states to diff things the limit in Illinois is 30 points higher then here.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

She's 20 months old and in perfect health, born at 41 weeks weighing 7lbs. My MIL (who's been diabetic for many years), my OB, and the people I spoke to at the Joslin Diabetes Center (who were affiliated with my hospital/OB) all told me to do an hour before and an hour after. Just did what I was told lol. There were zero signs of me having GD, it wasn't a big deal.

Quoting mrs.Martinez201:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)