Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Pregnant and Nursing Questions!

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:50 AM
  • 7 Replies

Ok, So I, really confused! About 2-3 weeks ago I got really sore nips from being pregnant and nursing. Normal, right? Ok, well now they are redder than normal. (They have always been somewhat red the whole time Ive nursed my 19 month old bc she gets a lazy latch when falling asleep on the breast and she has a slight lip tie). Are the redder (is "redder" a word or should I say, "more red"?? lol) because they are more sensitive from pregnancy? Also, when I have a letdown it feels much more intense than it used to be. Not painful but it's like I feel the letdown from way in the back of my breast then moving to my nipples. Is that normal? Im getting nervous that we've gotten thrush or something! But neither of us have vaginal yeast infections and my DD has no symptoms in her mouth. Am I over htinking this because of the weird pregnancy hormones? Has this happened to anyone? Ugghhh this new territory of being pregnant and nursing is so confusing and new! 

Thanks ladies! 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Julia.C
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I am also nursing and pregnant - I am in the same boat. I currently don't recognize my nipples. They are absolutely more red and swollen and strange.  And they are sore as well, but I'm assuming its due to the pregnancy stuff because never in the past have I had issues with sore nipples when breastfeeding.  I am also sure the letdown thing you speak of is normal.  I actually feel twinges of pain from what feels like my chest bone when he latches on.  SO - if there is something wrong with you then there is also something wrong with me. ;) I wouldn't worry too much about it though. 

CafeMom Tickers

---------------------------------

Mother Nurture Blog

larissalarie
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:23 AM
I would guess it's just from the pregnancy. I know I could hardly stand nursing while pregnant. I don't remember if my nipples were more red than usual though, sorry!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Nursing while pregnant was making me super irritated.  I was thrilled that DS didn't like the taste of my milk after 2-3 months and he self weaned by 15 months.  (And sad to have it end, but happy not to endure it any more!)

Mrs.Salz
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM

It's probably irritation from pregnancy/hormones. If your DD doesn't have oral symptoms of thrush, you're probably fine.

FionasMommie
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM

From what I've read in Adventures In Tandem Nursing and Nursing through Pregnancy, this sounds perfectly normal.

The pregnancy hormones cause changes in your breasts and the milk.

sarah4gandh
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Thanks ladies! you guys are awesome! I'll kep ya posted on our breastfeeding journey. I'm willing to tandem. But Ive noticed a drop in my supply and shes only nursing about 4 times a day now and 2 at night, which is a huge drop. Her choice, I offer more. I will be seriously sad if she weans... :( But one day at a time!

melindabelcher
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Could just be pregnancy hormones but also could be thrush. Oral symptoms in baby is usually a late sign. the one time I got thrush was when I was nursing pregnant.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN