Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Need info! I cant find anything on google

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM
  • 15 Replies

My friend's LO was recently vaccinated on Monday. I'm not sure what shots. He's 15 months old. I should ask, But Im afraid I'll just irritate her. Anyways, her son cant be around her mother for 21 days (she is battling cancer). So, how long should her son stay away from my 3 unvaccinated kids???

Sidenote:  Months ago our kids were playing and we didnt think anything about the fact that her LO had just been vaccinated recently (I forgot they can shed) well about 2 days later, my DD woke up with a HORRIBLE fever. She was miserable for days. Which led me to believe, his vax had shed to her. Thankfully, my friend is very catious now and always informs me when her LO has been vaccinated.

But now, I'm afraid to let my kids around her LO until I know for certain, that his vax are not going to shed to her.

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
girlywifey
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM

sorry I don't know but here is a bump

jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:23 PM
That's a good question! I am curious as well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM
He probably got the MMR which is live and can shed. If your worried I'd stay away for the month, but I'm not sure ok the exact shedding time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMammaof2
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM
The place to look would be on the package inserts for the specific vaccines the child was given. Sorry I don't have any links. Generally for his age the two that shed are Varicella and the MMR. I want to say that it is up to six weeks that they shed, according to the package inserts. But I'll have to double check.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMammaof2
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Here is the one about MMR. It says "Excretion of small amounts of the live virus from the nose & throat has occurred in the majority of susceptible individuals 7 to 28 days after vaccination. There is no confirmed evidence to indicate that such virus is transmitted to susceptible persons who are in contact with the vaccinated individuals" (5).

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mmr%2520package%2520insert&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.merck.com%252Fproduct%252Fusa%252Fpi_circulars%252Fm%252Fmmr_ii%252Fmmr_ii_pi.pdf&ei=PBLAUOKJGOe3ywGJ_YGABw&usg=AFQjCNGFxhwE-H93YVvbfuQb3xFO3fV9Ug

BlessedMammaof2
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM
And they're specifically referring to the Rubella part of the MMR.

Quoting BlessedMammaof2:

Here is the one about MMR. It says "Excretion of small amounts of the live virus from the nose & throat has occurred in the majority of susceptible individuals 7 to 28 days after vaccination. There is no confirmed evidence to indicate that such virus is transmitted to susceptible persons who are in contact with the vaccinated individuals" (5).

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mmr%2520package%2520insert&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.merck.com%252Fproduct%252Fusa%252Fpi_circulars%252Fm%252Fmmr_ii%252Fmmr_ii_pi.pdf&ei=PBLAUOKJGOe3ywGJ_YGABw&usg=AFQjCNGFxhwE-H93YVvbfuQb3xFO3fV9Ug

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Omg that's so sad that the baby can't be with his mom for 21 days! If I was in her situation I wold never vaccine my child!

jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:16 AM
I tend to forget to worry about this. Stupid right? I fully vaxxed my oldest so it's easy to forget to think about it. We don't go around the same people all the time but now I'm starting to worry. I have a playdate with friends this weekend. They just got vaccines about 1-2 weeks ago. We will be outside. Should I worry?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:23 AM
I think it's the baby's grandma.

Quoting amazzonia:

Omg that's so sad that the baby can't be with his mom for 21 days! If I was in her situation I wold never vaccine my child!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:33 AM
2 moms liked this
If your kids are healthy, there's no reason to worry. You never know about kids in public either, and you can't and shouldn't keep them locked away! if they eat well and are not deficient they'll be fine. You can do things to strengthen their immune system like feed them mangos (vit c and a and antiviral) and mushrooms (vit d), and spray their feet with essential oils.
I see no reason to keep healthy unvaccinated kids away from vaccinated kids. This is just my thought on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)