Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Large tonsils?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:03 AM
  • 13 Replies
OK so I was wondering if anyone has any perspective on getting tonsils taken out. I think my tonsils are huge and the Dr said they are. I get sick ALL the time and always have. I think my adenoids could be big also and it's why I always have fluid built up in my head.

When I lay down at night I feel like I can't breathe very easily. The Dr said that's common with big tonsils etc.

I just really wonder if it's worth going through this. I do feel like I can't breathe when I'm laying down but I don't have sleep apnea (that I know of). My friend was telling me she had her tonsils out to help with sleep issues and it didn't help so she has to get a cpap machine. I just really don't want to do this for a silly reason!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:10 AM
I have large tonsils and so does my son. i want to take him to an ent and get those and his adenoids taken out while he is young. i haven't had trouble breathing w mine, but i always got tonsillitis when i was younger. i dont want him having the same problems as me. plus he already stopped breathing in his sleep once and he snores. indications of needing them removed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Char07
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Removing dairy and wheat (and limiting sugar) from my diet has helped mine a lot, so does eating some raw honey and garlic and a tbsp of raw apple cider vinegar each day. Even without removing completely if I get sick and don't at least cut dairy and limit sugar then it takes forever to get well again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:48 AM
I had my tonsils taken out at age 10. They were large and I would get strep throat several times a year.
I think it was a great decision. I've never had strep throat since and I'm almost never sick in general, although I attribute that to lifestyle more than lack of tonsils, lol.

The way I see it is it's a pretty low-risk procedure if you and your doctor think it could help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Tonsils are a PITA, I would have them removed if they are huge.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Mine were removed before I was five.  They grew back.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I had my tonsils and adniods removed as a child due to getting strep throat back to back for months and havent had more then a common cold since. 

If my kids pediatrician thinks they need it one day (so far my oldest has not had strep) then I will have it done for them. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM
Bump
jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Yeah I get strep every year and I'm always sick! Part of that is due to my kids lol but this year I had tonsillitis and it was awful. Then it was like I started getting it again immediately after. I'm always getting ear infections every time I get sick. i think the fluid can't drain properly. I honestly think I should have had them removed as a kid. I had ear infections back to back and got strep and sinus infections ALL the time. I've always been that way. It's awful.

Quoting larissalarie:

I had my tonsils taken out at age 10. They were large and I would get strep throat several times a year.

I think it was a great decision. I've never had strep throat since and I'm almost never sick in general, although I attribute that to lifestyle more than lack of tonsils, lol.

The way I see it is it's a pretty low-risk procedure if you and your doctor think it could help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Yep, sounds like you need to try something! You shouldn't be getting so sick all the time, even if your kiddos are. I didn't even get sick like that when waitressing through college with a preschool/school age kid...and if that didn't expose me to everything out there, nothing will!
I hope you figure out something and if you do get them taken out, you find relief.
Quoting jconney80:

Yeah I get strep every year and I'm always sick! Part of that is due to my kids lol but this year I had tonsillitis and it was awful. Then it was like I started getting it again immediately after. I'm always getting ear infections every time I get sick. i think the fluid can't drain properly. I honestly think I should have had them removed as a kid. I had ear infections back to back and got strep and sinus infections ALL the time. I've always been that way. It's awful.

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
H.I.S.
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:34 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)