Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How to start a schedule and activites to keep baby busy?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM
  • 6 Replies

Im stay at home with my 6 month old daughter all day. We live in New York so its getting colder now and its not always the best weather to take her outside, but when it is i try to put her in the stroller and walk around the block for 20 minutes or so. Im starting to feel like a bad parent (im also a single parent) because often times to get things done around the house, i stick her in front of the tv and thats not what i wanted.

I want her to learn and play and not need the tv. Im starting online school and i would love to get her on a schedule, but she has a mind of her own. Shes very attached to me and if i go out of her sight for a second she has a heart attack.

What can i do that i can have her be around the house with me and not stuck in front of the tv and get her to be okay with me not always being there? What do you all suggest i do to keep her busy or activities so shes not watching tv (games, books, etc.)?

I know someone will suggest putting her in a baby carrier.. 1. shes 22 lbs.. & 2. i have an inflamed hip and a lot of back pain from carrying her pre and post pregnancy. Yes im seeing a chiropractor to get help for it, but im still in the early stages of recovery. Some days, like yesterday it was so bad to where i couldnt stand for longer than a minute or two.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
peaches_04
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM
At 6 months i wouldnt worry to much yet

Try baby reading groups?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Rather than the TV, turn the radio on!  (My LO loves classical and sits mesmerized when he listens to it with his daddy).

You're not a bad mama!  You recognize the need for change, and you're working toward it...  :)

illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Can your baby sit up? I have a drawer in the kitchen that I've given to my son. He is 11 months. In the drawer there are small pots and pans, small spachulas and fake food. He loves playing in it when I'm in the kitchen.

Or put your baby on an activity mat in the kitchen with you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I dont schedule my kids at all till they start school. I understand the point of being a SAHM and needing to get things done but human interaction is the best education. We do let our son into the pots and pans and we have a 'junk' drawer that we keep things in for our kids to play with. Also try music and a bunch of educational toys. Get one of those baby pen things and stick baby in there with toys if you really need to get stuff done. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Great idea, I love doing this

Quoting illegallyblonde:

Can your baby sit up? I have a drawer in the kitchen that I've given to my son. He is 11 months. In the drawer there are small pots and pans, small spachulas and fake food. He loves playing in it when I'm in the kitchen.

Or put your baby on an activity mat in the kitchen with you.

thalia7758
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

It would probably be hard to get a 6 month old on a schedule. My boy is six months old now, and I do have a similar problem... he wants me to be next to him all the time and sometimes I need to work on the laptop, or do laundry, etc. I have a few "stations" I move him between if I need to get stuff done: He can sit up in front of a toy piano (he loves it!), can stand in an exersaucer (he used to like it around 4 months, but I think he's outgrowing it), or can have some tummy time on a mat. Right now he's really into sitting so sometimes I just put him on a mat sitting up and put a few toys in front of him. 

I still have to tend to him every few minutes but I can get some time to do stuff. Although honestly sometimes he just wants to sit in my lap and type for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN