Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

After baby

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM
  • 23 Replies

Does anyone know anything about the depo shot? its what my doc wants to put me on as a form of birth control but i don't know anything about it.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I HATED it.  I gained weight, lost my sex drive and felt awful.  I was on it for six months.  When i quit i bled for months afterwards too.  It messed me up badly.  

Why does your doc want to use it? Remember too its a huge amount of hormones dumped into your body at once.  It's really bad, in my opinion.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM

DONT that is the worst bc you can get on. I was on it and it has possible cause infertility and it takes more a very very long time to conceive now. It massively throws off your hormones and causes massive weight gain, hair loss, and periods that can last 3 out of 4 weeks.

Thats just the most common complaints too. 

peaches_04
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:52 AM
It made me very depressed, bitchy and fat

Soooo not worth it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:53 AM
And i dont think u can take it while breast feeding
peaches_04
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:54 AM
Oh and it completely took away my sex drive
jeorgiamommie
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:03 AM

She wants to use it bc i have pmdd which makes me a bitch weather im on my period or not and pills dont work for me YAZ almost killed me and i was on ocella 24 when i got prego with my daughter so it was her next bet

Quoting SadieJames:

I HATED it.  I gained weight, lost my sex drive and felt awful.  I was on it for six months.  When i quit i bled for months afterwards too.  It messed me up badly.  

Why does your doc want to use it? Remember too its a huge amount of hormones dumped into your body at once.  It's really bad, in my opinion.

thundersky
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:07 AM
How about an IUD. I wouldnt recommend the meraina but maybe the paragard. The meraina gave me PPD really bad it lasted for 3yrs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeorgiamommie
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:14 AM

My doc told me the iud would only make my pmdd worse and not really help with it

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM
Do NOT do it. I have never personally had it but all the women I know who have had it have nothing but terrible stories.

I have never heard anyone say one good thing about it and honestly I cannot understand how it's still on the market. Say no no no no no no no to this!!
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM
The only breastfeeding safe bc are depo, mini pill and iud. I was on depo for three months and had no complaints. Except that I spotted for more than a month, but that's common and went away.
Then I was on the mini pill but I don't trust myself to be dilligent enough with that.
Now I have mirena, which took a little getting used to but I like it a lot. Since paraguard is non hormonal I doubt it will help with pmdd.

If you are comfortable wih neither of these you may want to seek advice of an ND. GL!0
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN