Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know anything about the depo shot? its what my doc wants to put me on as a form of birth control but i don't know anything about it.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM
are you breastfeeding? If so try the mini pill for a month to make sure it doesn't affect your supply then get the shot
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsErdos2011
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I was on depo and loved it while I was on it. Coming off of it I had a period that lasted over a month and cramps worse than dental pain

Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:25 PM

It's a nightmare! All those chemicals are bad for you too. Please look at other options.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I was on Depo Provera for over three years.

I was in college and didn't have a clue about all the junk I was putting into my body, but I knew I didn't have a good enough memory to take a pill every day at the same time.

After the first month, when I went in to have a pregnancy test because I didn't have my normal period, I LOVED IT!  I had no more periods during the time I was on it.  AND I didn't gain weight or get moody, as others in this forum described.  And conception was never an issue, as we never tried to conceive for over 12 years after I got off of Depo...

I was not looking for a "short term" birth control solution, as I don't view Depo as being that. 

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I've only heard negative things about it - weight gain, moodiness/mood swings, no sex drive, etc.

I'm not comfortable with the hormones in it personally.

WhitleyLyles
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I

HATED

IT

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I heard you shouldn't get it if your prone to osteoporosis.

JaxMomma78
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:09 AM
It causes irreversible bone loss. Don't do it. Breastfeeding takes enough calcium from Ur body.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AshleySail
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:46 AM
Really, the mirena can give you ppd?
Maybe that's why I'm so damn crazy

Quoting thundersky:

How about an IUD. I wouldnt recommend the meraina but maybe the paragard. The meraina gave me PPD really bad it lasted for 3yrs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thundersky
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Quoting AshleySail:

Really, the mirena can give you ppd?
Maybe that's why I'm so damn crazy

Quoting thundersky:

How about an IUD. I wouldnt recommend the meraina but maybe the paragard. The meraina gave me PPD really bad it lasted for 3yrs.

yea it was so bad. i wanted to leave and never come back, hated life and myself even thought about suicide many times.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)