Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Ginger during pregnancy

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM
  • 4 Replies

So I was talking to someone about ginger beer and someone else said she heard it causes miscarriages. I have not heard this and really not finding any good info on it. I did ask my midwife too but waiting for her to get back to me by email. But I thought I would ask here and see if anyone had any good links or knows any info on this. 

My first midwife recommended ginger beer to me and my second knew I took it with my third for heartburn and nausea. 

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Never head that. Its suggested to use for mornig sickness. Some sources have said to wait until second half of pregnancy to use the eo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:45 PM

See I have not. Only thing my Doula found showed me a link that said in high doses it is not safe in pregnancy. But does not say how much. I am waiting on my midwife to get back to me. 

Quoting jellyphish:

Never head that. Its suggested to use for mornig sickness. Some sources have said to wait until second half of pregnancy to use the eo.

Mesh2
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:50 PM

From what I can gather, only using it in large, concentrated doses could potentially be unhealthy. 

I have been drinking ginger beer, and have heard from many people, including doctors, that this is safe to do. 

Mrs.Salz
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I've heard both.

Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year by Susun Weed lists it as an herb to avoid as it may promote miscarriage and also recommends avoiding it in the first hour after birth because it increases uterine circulation and can cause PPH. It's also used as an emmenagogue.

However in the morning sickness section she also says "take tablespoonfuls of ginger root tea anytime nausea occurs. It is especially effect for motion sickness and early morning queasiness" On the following page she suggests "doses of up to 25 capsules per day for complete control of severe nausea and vomiting through pregnancy."

I wonder if you would find more information on her website.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)