Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I'm almost 20 weeks into my first pregnancy. I'd like to conisider a natural birth but I'm not sure if I can handle the pain.

I have part of my ovary removed last February and I stil remember the pain from that... and I had pain medication. I know it's like comparing apples to oranges.

But for you moms that have been through it before, seriously, how much does it hurt? Obviously you have to tolerate it because you can pass the point of no return for drugs... but how do you get through it? And have you ever experienced any other pain like it? 

Just trying to imagine what it's like.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Replies (31-39):
Melame68
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM

i felt it with my second...but i think that was because i pushed her head half way out with one contraction and then stopped and waited to push with the next. with my son i never felt it. but i pushed once and the head was out...so maybe it was fleeting and i didnt notice.

Quoting saral2790:

For me I was too distracted with pushing to even notice any pain. I just wanted to see my baby

Quoting jaybray310:

what about when the baby comes out? i've heard about this ring of fire. did you have that?

saral2790
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:29 PM
I remember when his head was halfway out the dr said I was having another contraction and asked if I wanted to wait til the next one to push I stated pushing before she could even finish the sentence lol

Quoting Melame68:

i felt it with my second...but i think that was because i pushed her head half way out with one contraction and then stopped and waited to push with the next. with my son i never felt it. but i pushed once and the head was out...so maybe it was fleeting and i didnt notice.

Quoting saral2790:

For me I was too distracted with pushing to even notice any pain. I just wanted to see my baby

Quoting jaybray310:

what about when the baby comes out? i've heard about this ring of fire. did you have that?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gamelas
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM
I had all three of mine at home. Lovely experiences. When i began i wasn't sure what i wanted. Take a bradley or brio birth classes and keep you options open. Childbirth was nothing compared to gallbladder problems. The ring of fire doesn't last long. It's an intense heat sensation, but once you get there you can feel and touch you baby! Totally worth it. But get support. Hire a doula and read read read!
gamelas
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM
I had all three of mine at home. Lovely experiences. When i began i wasn't sure what i wanted. Take a bradley or brio birth classes and keep you options open. Childbirth was nothing compared to gallbladder problems. The ring of fire doesn't last long. It's an intense heat sensation, but once you get there you can feel and touch you baby! Totally worth it. But get support. Hire a doula and read read read!
gamelas
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM
Sorry i don't know i double posted
Melame68
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM

i did that with my third. just pushed caught my breath..pushed...caught my breath. my second the contractions didnt subside with pushing. so i was so focused on them i couldnt think between them.

Quoting saral2790:

I remember when his head was halfway out the dr said I was having another contraction and asked if I wanted to wait til the next one to push I stated pushing before she could even finish the sentence lol

Quoting Melame68:

Quoting saral2790:

Quoting jaybray310:

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:26 PM

bump

laurade024
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:42 AM
I just had my first 8 months ago. I had to be induced bc of high bp. It was super high n I had pre e. anyways I slept until 8 cm. then it hurt. I had back labor and was tied to the bed bc I was on 3 diff meds. Dd heart couldn't handle the stress. So I got and epidural. ( I hated it ) it wore off in 2 hrs. I went the last 4 hrs natural except feeling my feet. When it's time to push Ur body knows u just go into a mind set of getting it done. I got her out in 1 contraction. I did not feel the ring of fire. And I tore sooooo bad over an hr worth of stitches!!! Dd came out with her arm first like superman!! Lol I also had a kidney stone at 31 weeks. And I would much rather go thru labor again!!! Kidney stones were horrid. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM

It hurts, but it's almost a good kind of pain. The only thing I can possibly compare it to is having a really really painful zit, it hurts like hell to touch, even worse when it's being popped, but the relief is instant and then it's over.  I broke my arm when I was 8 and THAT hurt WAY worse than natural childbirth. The memory I have with that is white hot with pain. My dd's birth is a cool day compared to that.  I got through it just by thinking that it's nothing to fear, my body knows what it's doing and soon I will meet my baby. Hypnobirthing helped me out a lot as well as Ina May Gaskins books.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)