Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm almost 20 weeks into my first pregnancy. I'd like to conisider a natural birth but I'm not sure if I can handle the pain.

I have part of my ovary removed last February and I stil remember the pain from that... and I had pain medication. I know it's like comparing apples to oranges.

But for you moms that have been through it before, seriously, how much does it hurt? Obviously you have to tolerate it because you can pass the point of no return for drugs... but how do you get through it? And have you ever experienced any other pain like it? 

Just trying to imagine what it's like.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
princess_peach
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM
I actually did feel that ring of fire, but it lasts such a short time. I have had one midi cared and one all natural and the natural one was SO much better! If you really do want to go natural, take a class. I recommend HypnoBirthing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM

The only birth where I noticed this was with my last. He was coming really fast. I started to push but felt that burning and stopped pushing. He was still out in only two contractions. Midwife told me with the first contraction not to push so hard and I told her I wasn't. LOL

Quoting jellyphish:

I didn't notice this at all, but that could be because I didn't tear (because I was not on my back), and because I was focusing on the baby and not my body.

Quoting jaybray310:

what about when the baby comes out? i've heard about this ring of fire. did you have that?

I agree with others that it is about your attitude. I've seen women tell a ftm, "Imagine the worst pain you've ever felt and multiply times 10 (or 100)". That to me is absolutely ridiculous. I've had spinal headaches. I have regular migraine headaches. I've had an ectopic pregnancy. I've recovered from jaw surgery. I've dealt with kidney stones for about 3 years. All of those things were far worse than birth. 

Birth can be hard, but if a mom has support and is left to do what she feels like doing it is so much easier than being on your back in a bed. I've had six births with no pain meds and I prefer that so much to the drugged births I had.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:51 PM

It's different for everyone

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

You will hear people say it was horrible but only 6 hrs, while others it took 24+ hrs of labor.  One big thing that you can do to help is no induction, when baby comes and he or she is ready than it will go quicker than being forced.

WhitleyLyles
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:59 PM
I didntget an epidural in time for my third and when it was time to push I was hurting so fucking bad lol. however I didnt care. all I knew was I had to get her out so the pain would be over

Quoting TrouserMouse:

At that point, you seriously do not care about the pain. Your body is telling you to push and that is what you are worried about.  You can feel it, but it doesn't matter. It is hard to explain.

Imagine if someone you loved was in danger and you hurt yourself trying to save them.  You may know you are hurt, but you aren't really thinking about it that much. It is kind of like that.

Quoting jaybray310:

what about when the baby comes out? i've heard about this ring of fire. did you have that?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I labored for over 57 hours and would do it all over again. It's not nearly as bad as people/media make it out to be, IMO.

Have support, research and build confidence, and breathe. I really thought talking to women of cultures where interventions aren't seen as necessary and watching women and animals give birth naturally was helpful. Generally speaking, the female human body is capable. When you look at it as a normal part of life, the fear factor subsides. You can do it! :)
imtheonlysane1
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM

You can't focus on the pain or how much pain you think there may be. I remember with my first , my mom sat me down and told me it was going to hurt , not only was it going to hurt but it was going to be like no pain I have ever felt before. She did not tell me this to scare me , she told me this to prepare me. From that day on for the rest of the pregnancy I told myself " I am going to have a baby, it IS going to hurt but I CAN do it". I am now pregnant with #5 and I have NEVER felt a contraction (yes I am dead serious). The only pain I feel is when baby is crowning (which is the ring of fire you speak of) and the best way to stop that is to push.

If you want a med free birth then convince yourself now that that is what you will have. Don't focus on the pain , instead focus on how you will overcome it.

RheaF
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Yes, I did feel that but only for the few seconds before the head came out. Once the head was out it was over. Ask your Doctor to do some perineal massage during the pushing phase, and do some at home too to prepare for the birth.

Quoting jaybray310:

momofcrazypants
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:06 AM

DD is 12, I was young when I had her. Only 21. Back then they gave me demerol and an epidural. I didn't know what I was doing and just took what they brought in. By the time I had her, I didn't even want to hold her because I felt so sick from all the meds. Who wants to spend their first moments with their baby like that? I did. The nursing staff all thought I had post partum depression. Nope, just sick as a dog and doped up.

DS is almost 3. I had him naturally without any meds. It's uncomfortable, I'm not going to lie but the healing process was so much better. Within 45 minutes of having him, I was eating a sandwich and felt great.

When I pushed him out, there was alot of pressure and that ring of fire that you're asking about, but it's so fast and after it's over...it feels good.

I haven't tried water births or hynobirthing. This is just my experience at the hospital without meds. Not too bad.

gbcmom
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM
I can't give an educated answer..I had Csecs. Good luck in your journey. I think it is all about mindset and a great support system.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)