Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm almost 20 weeks into my first pregnancy. I'd like to conisider a natural birth but I'm not sure if I can handle the pain.

I have part of my ovary removed last February and I stil remember the pain from that... and I had pain medication. I know it's like comparing apples to oranges.

But for you moms that have been through it before, seriously, how much does it hurt? Obviously you have to tolerate it because you can pass the point of no return for drugs... but how do you get through it? And have you ever experienced any other pain like it? 

Just trying to imagine what it's like.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
JaxMomma78
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:27 AM
It f**king hurts! Not gonna sugar coat it. But the worst of the pain does not last long at all. Contractions are more uncomfortable then get gradually painful. It's not the contractions that are the worst of it, it's the pushing out your vag.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KRYSTALK1013
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I've had horrible periods all my life, so my pain tolerance is pretty high. To me, contractions felt like a mixture of period cramps and horrible constipation. Like there was a blood pressure cuff around my waist that would tighten and release. They were pretty bad, but not unbearable. I didn't feel the "ring of fire" though I was expecting it. I honestly didn't feel my daughter coming out (and she got stuck!). My only indication (other than the doctor and my husband telling me) that she was out was the feeling of emptiness and my ability to breathe again. I had second degree tears, and no drugs at all during delivery. 

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:53 AM
This.

Quoting larissalarie:

Nope, pushing and the baby coming out felt like such a relief.

You are focusing in the wrong things. Fearing the pain makes it hard to have a natural birth. But yes, I have a very high pain tolerance, didn't think it would be THAT bad, and still found birth a pain unlike any other.

Quoting jaybray310:

what about when the baby comes out? i've heard about this ring of fire. did you have that?

FebPenguins
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I will agree that I hate when people say it is the worst pain x 100. I kept reminding myself that it will all be over then I will get to meet this precious little one that I have waited for so long (it is funny to me that 9 mths seems like FOREVER, then it is over).

Melame68
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

depends. y first wasnt bad. my second, the pain maxed at a 4, my thrid was pretty bad. kidney stones were SO MUCH WORSE than labor. so honestly...its not that bad. how i managd...walking, talking, distracting myself.

piwife
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM
I had 2 medicated births and 1 natural. I feel the ring of fire with the medicated births and not the natural. My medicated births were long and boring, my natural birth was fast and painful but exciting. If I could go back in time all my births would be natural pain and all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AtiFreeFalls
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM

The pain of childbirth is subjective.  Some women have intense pain, others have none at all.  In my experience as a birth worker/studyer, MOST women have pretty significant pain with childbirth, but describe it as being somewhat removed from them.  Like they are somewhere else, watching themselves.  They know it hurts, they know it's intense, they experience it, but it's insignificant to the greater experience. 

Both of my births were like that.  My first was a hospital induction and I was in a great deal of pain.  10 out of 10, no question.  But when it was over I was A) super proud of myself for making it through a Pitocin birth without pain killers and B) thankful for the gift of having experienced my baby entering the world without the filter of pain medication.  It was hard.  I didn't want to do it at one point, but I had a great support system and that made all the difference.

With my second, I wasn't even completely convinced I was in active labor until I called the midwife and had her come check me lol.  When she got there I was hesitant to be checked, thinking I would be somewhere between 3 and 5 cm, but I was already at 9!  For another hour I labored without any real pain, just intense comings and goings of contractions.  Things got really serious really fast and it got really painful... but less tahn 20 minutes later I was pushing.  Once pushing starts the contractions feel different and don't hurt any more, at least for me. 

The ring of fire, like another poster said, was a thing to be ignored for me.  It didn't matter.  It hurt, but it was a fraction of what my contractions had been and I knew I needed to get past it for it to be over.  It could have been every bit as painful as the contractions and I would have powered through it because I didn't care at all how much it hurt, I just cared about getting the baby out lol.  For both of my births.

If a natural birth is what you want, it is worth it and it is attainable.  Even huge wussies do it.  Thousands of women are doing it right now.

If, on the other hand, the pain scares you so much that you will feel traumatized by a natural birth, then perhaps it's not for you, and it will be worth it to get an epidural.  It's up to you, and there is no right answer.  You do what feels best for you and your baby.

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Burns, but the pressure of the contractions is less. On a scale of 1-10, childbirth is a 9. But you completely forget as soon as it's done.

Quoting jaybray310:

what about when the baby comes out? i've heard about this ring of fire. did you have that?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyIslandGirls
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

for me, it was FEAR rather than pain that messed me up. as soon as i allowed my fear to take over, i was unable to do much of anything except scream.

i did manage to get mysekf under control and thats when things started to work. i've had 3 non medicated vaginal births now.. and i'm expecting my 4th in late may.

saral2790
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM
For me I was too distracted with pushing to even notice any pain. I just wanted to see my baby

Quoting jaybray310:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)