Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you have a MD (not midwife)

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:59 PM
  • 31 Replies

I don't see the point in birth plans (for me).  I always end up having a different doctor jump in for delivery, one I have never met.  It's fustrating...  Anyone experiece that also or feel the same way?

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Absolutely! Though, to be fair, my doctor had no interest in my birth plan, from the start. Her instructions were just to bring it to the hospital, and the nurses would keep it on my file. She also did not attend my delivery, but I was okay with that after she pushed unnecessary induction and got pissy when I refused.

Short of complications, I won't have an OB for prenatal care or childbirth, if I have more children.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommaGreenhalge
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this
My OB shared my plan and preferences with the partners in his practice. He told me who would be there over the weekend he was celebrating his daughter's birthday in case i went into labor that weekend (which I did). She came in completely prepared, having read my chart and discussed my history and preferences with my regular provider. I had a completely natural (read: not even an IV) 2VBAC. It all depends on your provider, regardless of their job title.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM

With my first pregnancy I had a doctor who worked at a hospital 4 hours away.  He had come in to help because there were a lot of June due dates in the area.  I think I was the 4th c-section of the day and there had been at least 2 moms discharged that day and a few natural births as well.

EthansMomma2010
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM

nope. mine drove over an hour to get their and then watched movies in the office in between checking on me for the whole 10 hours i was there in labor. he was pretty awesome. i just wasn't prepared enough to stick to my plan.

JMmama
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:58 PM
My OB fully backed my plan and mad sure a copy was front and center in my chart. She was the one present at my delivery but the nurses I had never seen before and were already up to speed when I got there. My birth plan was totally respected and followed and had another doctor been there it should have been just as easy. Obviously I don't know what would have happened but based on the nurses response to my birth plan it seems like it would have been no problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imtheonlysane1
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM

My OB wrote my birth plan out and put it in my file. He is not the one that delivered but plan was followed. (with all of my children)

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I wrote a birth plan to take to the hospital in case of an emergency transfer.

We ended up with a transfer, and it was wonderful that all of the nurses/OBs read how we had worked toward a natural birth.  They knew my history before coming in to meet me, and even though we couldn't go with the natural birth we'd wanted, they were very respectful of my emotional state.

I wouldn't do any birth without a birth plan, just in case...

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM
I had the same doc throughout pregnancy and at the delivery of my children (although it was a different doctor each pregnancy). But I've still always thought birth plans are silly and never made one. You can't plan something as unpredictable as child birth! I think trying to plan it and then having reality be different sets you up for disappointment and to fail at natural birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM
My first was delivered by an ob I had met once. She and all her help had read, agreed to, and signed my bp. Regardless, however, I was coerced into drugs, forced on my back, cord was cut immediately, and she was taken away from me for way too long after birth. There was absolutely no reason for any of that. She sucked ass. And I had a hard time trusting my mw's promises whole heartedly because of this. I don't regret having a bp, I regret not explaining to my husband how important it was for him to support me and make sure I was respected.

But I still don't believe all obs suck so bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I am having a planned c-section with my MD.  I guess that IS my birth plan lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)