Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I am newly pregnant and want to wear my baby when he/she is born. I believe in the closeness between mommy and baby. What I want to know is what is your favorite type of sling? Pro's and Cons of certain types of slings? Give me the information you wish you new as a new baby wearing mom. 

I am not really interested in the slings that look like backpacks/ergo (i'm not sure the terminology) they just don't look comfy for baby. I am all about what's best for baby. 

Thanks for helping me...

signed,

a baby wearing hopeful.

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:27 AM
Replies (21-26):
lactatingloon
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:15 AM
I have a huge ebf baby lol he likes the ring sling but it kills my neck and shoulder, I just recently borrowed my friends ergo baby for an afternoon and ds and I both LOVE it!! I'm now asking for one for Christmas :)
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I loved moby for itty bitty stage and ssc for 6 months+

jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:59 AM
I personally prefer the ease of use with a Boba. I do like the ring sling when they are little or a woven wrap. My kids love their Boba carriers and have never been uncomfortable! And neither have I! I still wear my almost 3 year old in my Boba and my 14 month old. They ask to be worn =) I prefer the Maya ring sling for younger babies though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Yeah that's what happened to me when they got older and heavier it started hurting my shoulder! The ring sling I mean...

Quoting lactatingloon:

I have a huge ebf baby lol he likes the ring sling but it kills my neck and shoulder, I just recently borrowed my friends ergo baby for an afternoon and ds and I both LOVE it!! I'm now asking for one for Christmas :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:31 AM

I love ring slings by Shiny Star Designs, you can see them on swaps called SSD.  Its a local WAHM that sells awesome slings.

MrsErdos2011
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Teach me your awesome ways!! I tried and tried and tried to figure out how to nurse my son in a ring sling and couldn't do it. I make going to make a wrap when and if we have another to see if that is easier

Quoting LaughterHugs:

here's me nursing in one-shouldered  carriers (ring slings or pouches), soft-structured carriers (mei tais, ergo, anything that goes over two shoulders with straps etc), and wraps (stretchy-moby/sleepywrap/ultimatebabywrap, woven wraps- gira/hopp/storch/bebina/didy/ellevil/natibaby, etc)

ring sling nursing is great for newborn to toddlerhood, plus for the one who want to be more discreet, or are less adept at NIP, the tail is an easy coverup esp for babies who pop on and off or dislike hooter hiders etc, b/c you can cover just your breast, like in my first picture
the problems with ring sling nursing is repositioning to cradle nursing hold can be difficult and one shoulder is always stuck with the weight of the baby

3 month old

8 months old

past a year in a didy dragons

30 minutes old

past a year, osnaburg shorty 

past a year old

babyette past a year old

7 months old

4 months old

2 weeks old

mei tai and other soft structured carriers (Boba, ERGO, Beco, BabyHawk) are good because the spread the weight more evenly, and can be used for back carrying also, but on a flip side they expose you more while breastfeeding and really don't work as well if baby cannot sit up on their own due to physical development and leg spread (aka under 6 months ish) :)

8 months old

8 months old

5 months old

9 months old

6 months old

5 months old

over a year old (on the rocket ride line at disneyland)

over a year old (infantino Mei Tai)

over a year old, ergo at disneyland grand hotel lobby

over a year old (in the boba on our 2 mile hike)

over a year old in the boba2g at LA Arboretum

ergos

over a year old, in the toddlerhawk at disneyland

wraps, which are any type of long piece of fabric, are great b/c they are super versitile and if you get a woven (not stretchy) it'll last from birth to whenever you stop wearing :) however a stretchy (moby/sleepywrap/ultimate babywrap etc) wrap will only be unsaggy/unpainful for birth through 18-20lbs....whereas a woven (gira/didy/hopp/storch/babyette/bebina etc) will be useful as long as you desire to babywear
nursing in a cradle hold secures the baby better then any other carrier, but MY babies would only let me do it for about a week, then (as you can see in the latter half of the pictures) i had to start nursing in a slightly loosened and retied hug hold or FWCC.

also the wraps of all types take longer to master, but are SO worth it :)

stretchy should only be used in a front carry, but woven can be used for a back and side carry also :)

1 month old stretchy wrap (moby)

1 week old woven bebina

2 days old woven gauze babythebaby

3 months old woven gauze

5 months old woven bebina

5 months old woven bebina

11 months old woven babyette sunayana (at downtown disneyland, lol)

over a year old neobulle julie

over a year old, bebina aquarius

feel free to PM me for anymore help :D

I may not be a perfect wife or mother but I am perfect in the eyes of my son and my husband and that is all that matters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)