Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ovulating immediately after IUD removal?

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hi Ladies,

Not sure if anyone has experience with this or not. I had my mirena IUD removed on Nov 21st, and two days later had what I was thinking was a period for 4 days. But it may have been bleeding from removal. I have not had regular cycles at all with my IUD, and I am still breastfeeding my almost 21 month old DD.

So thinking that was my period that I had on Nov 23rd, I assumed I would be ovulating by now, and I am not. No signs of it at all.. But yesterday and today I have been feeling extra tired, and dizzy/light headed. Is it possible to ovulate immediately after getting the IUD removed? If that wasn't my period, and just bleeding from removal could I have been ovulating then and missed the signs?

I think it may be time for a test...

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM
That's was almost certainly bleeding from removal and not a period. It's *possible* to have ovulated right away, but unlikely. Since the Mirena has hormones (unlike Paragard which wouldn't affect your natural cycles), it usually takes a couple of months for your body to get back to it's regular state.
However since anything is possible, you might test to put your mind at ease. Tests are cheap :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SAHM927
by Lesly on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Thank you. You are right that anything is possible. But I am not experiencing any other symptoms of pregnancy. Maybe I am having the "Mirena Crash" I wish I never put that in my body.. 

Quoting larissalarie:

That's was almost certainly bleeding from removal and not a period. It's *possible* to have ovulated right away, but unlikely. Since the Mirena has hormones (unlike Paragard which wouldn't affect your natural cycles), it usually takes a couple of months for your body to get back to it's regular state.
However since anything is possible, you might test to put your mind at ease. Tests are cheap :-)

CowgirlSoldier
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I just finally concieved afer 6 cycles of TTC post Mirena. I am fairly certain I did ovulate the first cycle off. There are women who get pregnant with twins after removal because there body hyper ovulated. So I have my FX for you. Don't give up hope if things start taking a while, I am the second person I know that took 6 months to get pregnant after Mirena. 

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:56 PM
I got pregnant with my daughter the day after my iud was removed. She will be 3 on Feb 27:)

I thought it would have taken months of ttc after having it taken out- now the thought that if I had waited just one more day for my appointment for iud removal and never having dd scares me so much!! No more iuds for me :/

Keep us updated!!
mommy242012
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM
I had paraguard back in 2008. I had it taken out July 28 got pregnant with my daughter July 29th, not sure when I ovulated but close to iud removal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SAHM927
by Lesly on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Thank you. I'm glad you were able to conceive. After a few months I'm sure it becomes a bit worrisome. We'll see, I honestly don't have that feeling that I am.. but I am going to test to be sure.

Quoting CowgirlSoldier:

I just finally concieved afer 6 cycles of TTC post Mirena. I am fairly certain I did ovulate the first cycle off. There are women who get pregnant with twins after removal because there body hyper ovulated. So I have my FX for you. Don't give up hope if things start taking a while, I am the second person I know that took 6 months to get pregnant after Mirena. 

SAHM927
by Lesly on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM

So it is possible. Haha! Did you have any bleeding after it was removed?

Quoting bloomsr:

I got pregnant with my daughter the day after my iud was removed. She will be 3 on Feb 27:)

I thought it would have taken months of ttc after having it taken out- now the thought that if I had waited just one more day for my appointment for iud removal and never having dd scares me so much!! No more iuds for me :/

Keep us updated!!

SAHM927
by Lesly on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:40 PM

So you must have ovulated right after it was removed. Did you have bleeding when it was removed? If I remember correctly paraguard is hormone free though, right?

Quoting mommy242012:

I had paraguard back in 2008. I had it taken out July 28 got pregnant with my daughter July 29th, not sure when I ovulated but close to iud removal.

mommy242012
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:34 AM
I had a little bleeding, but because the removal strings curled up inside my uterus. Yes paraguard is hormone free but still wouldn't recommend it. I hated it!

Quoting SAHM927:

So you must have ovulated right after it was removed. Did you have bleeding when it was removed? If I remember correctly paraguard is hormone free though, right?

Quoting mommy242012:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:09 AM
Quoting SAHM927:

I did have light bleeding the day the Mirena was removed but not like a period. I had it for about 15 months before having it out:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)