Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Help with hitting!

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM
  • 8 Replies
Help! I am 2,000 miles from home visiting family. My 22 month old has started hitting two of his cousins. One is four the other just turned two. He used to swat our dogs at around 18 months, but after he hit them I would take his hand and have him pat the dogs gently and told him to use "gentle hands" when playing with the dogs. I am using the same method here and it is not working quickly. My sister is livid with me that my child hits hers and that I am "not doing anything about it". Are there other methods I can use other than spanking? (Which my sister keeps saying I need to do- that is not happening because from my experience spanking and yelling makes DS1's behavior worse because he seeks the chaos that spanking brings.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
GoodyBrook
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm just starting to deal with this with DS, age 20 months. 

He loves to run up to the cats and hit or kick out of excitement.  We've learned that he hates to be held down, so if his behavior happens twice in a row after we've told him not to, we'll hold him tightly and talk to him until he settles down.  Once he settles down we'll show him again and again with the cats how to be "gentle" to them...

Honestly, I'm not sure we're on the right path for peaceful discipline, but we're at a loss, too!

Mrs.Salz
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

We do the same "gentle" with our 22 month old when he hits. I also have him give the person a kiss and that seems to work.

It helps to find the underlying cause for the hitting - boredom, wanting attention, upset that a toy was taken away, etc.

peaches_04
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
She wants you to hit your child to teach him hitting is wrong....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Your sister wants you to hit your one year old baby.. :o/
Sorry.. I would have half a mind to spank dear sis.

H.I.S.
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:52 AM

BUMP!

rachelrothchild
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

If a gentle approach isn't working, I would remove him and "talk to" him about it.  Yes, we need to figure out why our children are acting out, but we can't let them continue to hit other children while we are figuring it out.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My 20 month old is in a hitting stage. I have finally found what works for him. If If he hits I tell him to be gentle and have him come sit by me for a few moments. it seems to help him with hitting.

outstandingLove
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I would remove him from the other children every time he hit. Probably for about 5 or 10 minutes. Then before letting him rejoin the play remind him to be gentle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN