Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Question about flaxseed

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM
  • 17 Replies
I read that flaxseed can't be digested unless it has been broken down by some sort of grinder. All the flaxseed I buy, is usually already in a coarse form.
Here's my question... Why are all these "healthy" and "natural" products that have flaxseed in them have the whole seed?
I'm confused. Anyone have some insight?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:03 PM
Interesting. I had never heard that about flax seed before.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM
Question

Ground flaxseed: Better than whole?
Does ground flaxseed have more health benefits than whole flaxseed?

Answer
from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Most nutrition experts recommend ground flaxseed because your body is better able to digest it. Whole flaxseed may pass through your intestine undigested, which means you won't get all the health benefits.

Flaxseed is high in fiber, omega-3 fatty acids and phytochemicals called lignans. Flaxseed is commonly used as a laxative (to improve digestive health or relieve constipation). Both flaxseed and flaxseed oil have been used to help reduce total blood cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") cholesterol levels and, as a result, may help reduce the risk of heart disease. Although flaxseed oil also contains omega-3 fatty acids, it doesn't have the beneficial fiber that the seeds have.

You can purchase raw flaxseed in bulk — whole or ground — at many grocery stores and health food stores. Whole seeds can be ground in a coffee grinder and then stored in an airtight container for several months. Refrigerating whole seeds may also extend their freshness.

Although the Institute of Medicine has not set a recommended daily intake for omega-3 fatty acids, it has established adequate intake amounts of between 1.1 and 1.6 grams a day for adults. One tablespoon of ground flaxseed provides 1.6 grams of omega-3 fatty acids.

Tips for including flaxseed in your diet:

Add a tablespoon of ground flaxseed to your hot or cold breakfast cereal.
Add a teaspoon of ground flaxseed to mayonnaise or mustard when making a sandwich.
Mix a tablespoon of ground flaxseed into an 8-ounce container of yogurt.
Bake ground flaxseed into cookies, muffins, breads and other baked goods.
Next question
Eye vitamins: Can they prevent or treat glaucoma?
See Also
Calcium and calcium supplements: Achieving the right balance
Herbal supplements: What to know before you buy
Supplements: Nutrition in a pill?
Fiber supplements: Safe to take every day?
Chocolate: Does it impair calcium absorption?
Calcium supplements: Do men need them too?
Calcium supplements: When should they be taken?
Multivitamins: Do young children need them?
Vitamin D deficiency
Percent Daily Value: What does it mean?
Vitamin water: Better than plain water?
Vitamin D toxicity: What if you get too much?
Too much vitamin C: Harmful?
Do the benefits of vitamin C include improved mood?
Prenatal vitamins: OK for women who aren't pregnant?
What is wheatgrass — And why is it in my drink?
Eye vitamins: Can they prevent or treat glaucoma?
Vitamin D for babies: Are supplements needed?
Supplement use increases, but a healthy diet is the key
Can vitamins help prevent a heart attack?
Dietary supplements: Greater accountability needed
Calcium supplements and bone health
Dietary supplements not without risks
Multivitamins — Are they the best thing for you?
References
AN01258 Jan. 19, 2010
© 1998-2012 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. "Mayo," "Mayo Clinic," "MayoClinic.com," "EmbodyHealth," "Enhance your life," and the triple-shield Mayo Clinic logo are trademarks of Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Because its easier. And ground flax goes bad quickly.

I buy it whole, then ground enough to last threes days in a coffee grinder and keep it in the fridge. (It goes bad after three days after ground)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Is milled different? I get milled flaxseed, it looks finely ground, but it definitely keeps much longer than 3 days in the fridge.

Quoting jellyphish:

I buy it whole, then ground enough to last threes days in a coffee grinder and keep it in the fridge. (It goes bad after three days after ground)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:21 AM
I honestly don't know. I'm not sure if it's the outter layer that prohibits absorption or not. I guess you could check your poo to find out. (Not sarcasm; I know that may sound gross, but it's a good way to find out!)

Quoting larissalarie:

Is milled different? I get milled flaxseed, it looks finely ground, but it definitely keeps much longer than 3 days in the fridge.

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Ha! I'm sooooo squeamish about poo. Lol, maybe someday I'll be curious enough...

Quoting jellyphish:

I honestly don't know. I'm not sure if it's the outter layer that prohibits absorption or not. I guess you could check your poo to find out. (Not sarcasm; I know that may sound gross, but it's a good way to find out!)

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this
If you have a babe in diapers you could always check the diapers. ;)

Quoting larissalarie:

Ha! I'm sooooo squeamish about poo. Lol, maybe someday I'll be curious enough...

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2my2boys
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM
does it have to be put in the fridge?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CowgirlSoldier
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 6:04 AM

I have ground flax and put it in the freezer. I use it in a lot of baking recipies including my favorite bannana, peanut butter,vegan muffins. 

hapababies
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:23 AM
That is what got me wondering about this. I found whole flaxseeds in my son's diaper after he had eaten some instant oatmeal that whole flaxseeds.

Quoting jellyphish:

If you have a babe in diapers you could always check the diapers. ;)

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN