Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Christmas Intervention (maybe OT)

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM
  • 21 Replies
I have 3 children (5, 2 1/2, and 10 months). They want for nothing. We are trying to limit the amount of toys and electronics they relieve for Christmas, birthdays, etc. my in laws have been pretty good about only giving 1-2 toys to each child. My mother, however, is ridiculous.

She will give each child 15-20 gifts at Christmas. Seriously. And 5-10 for their birthday. I have talked to her, told her to give the toys to a charity, on and on. It all falls on deaf ears. I end up returning most of the gifts she gives bc we don't need them and I don't want them (she knows I return them- I've told her).

Any suggestions to help? Thank you.
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM
I don't know, I'd let her
It's her money if she wants to spoil the kids with gifts, let her
You said you wind up taking them back...sounds like you have your solution

You could also put them away for when you have to go to a bday party, then you have a new gift that you don't have to buy to give

My kids are the same as yours and my mom enjoys spending money on them...she is not local and it's one of the ways she likes to show her love
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
When your mom gives them all the toys take them home and spread them out. Let kiddos pick they can donate 1 old toy for each new toy/take 1-2 now and 1-2 later.
Some ppl just show their love with giving, its how your mom enjoys christmas
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM
That's insane! If she won't listen I think all you can do is return them and/or donate.
Maybe set up a savings account and put the money you get for the returns into it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM
wow! thats a lot! I thought our kids got a lot!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Have her give 1-2 gifts and the other money she wants to spend put towards a collage fund. 

FebPenguins
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Suggest she give consumable gifts. Glue sticks, crayons, paper, paint, play doh.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:11 PM
I'd ask her to get them family passes to museums or aquariums or the zoo.thaThat's what I do because my aunt and uncle used to get the kids toys that they never play with. Finally they started getting us a family zoo pass after I asked! Then with my FIL he gives the kids $150 each so we use it to get amusement park passes and a family museum pass. Two of my kids have birthdays right after Christmas and there is no way we could stand to have all of those toys!

Some other ideas are skating rink passes or places that have indoor playgrounds like bounce houses or trampolines. Or a Ymca membership. I'd love stuff like that more than crazy amounts of toys. We never run out of things to do! If it's nice out we go to the zoo. If it's cold or rainy we go to the museum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Some people express love by giving... it's annoying she isn't more respectful of your wishes but I would either keep doing what you're doing and/or donate a few toys or return them and open a savings acct.

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I am in the same boat with my mom when it comes to Christmas.  I tell her 1 gift each is enough and how she doesn't need to be Santa.  That when she gives more gifts than Santa it takes away from their excitment.

VintageWife
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:42 PM

That's crazy :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)