Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Losing weight or not gaining during pregnancy

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:21 PM
  • 19 Replies
So, I am overweight. I was working on it before I got pregnant and have lost 30 pounds in the past 4 months. Now I am a little over a month pregnant and I am still losing. About a pound a week. I am eating and keeping most of it down( I am nauseous all the time). I am just eating healthier than I was. I still walk and do light excercise like I was before, well I actually slowed down a little. My Midwife is on with this as long as the baby is progressing, and I am eating healthy. However, I have friends and family telling me its bad to lose anything or not gain during pregnancy. What do you guys think?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Just eat healthy baby will get what it needs. I lost weight for the majority of my pregnancy and gained very little it had no known ill affects on baby
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this
No worries. Even underweight, my mw and other resources said its totally ok to lose weight- up to 10%. And I'm sure that changes for a woman who is making healthy changes and trying to obtain a healthy weight.

I knew better and got flack from people around me, so I resorted to either not answering their questions & changing the subject, or just lying about it. You and your mw know baby is healthy, that's what matters. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RheaF
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM
That's what I was thinking. I had Hypermesis with my son and dropped 30 pounds in the beginning. I don't want to go through that again!! But he was perfectly healthy the entire time. I try to explain that to people, and that I am not trying to lose weight right now. Just eating healthy, and normal sized portions, but they insist I am going to harm the baby if I lose anything.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't really understand why people think its ok to talk to a woman about her weight just because she's pregnant. It's like as soon as your uterus is occupied all normal social protocols go out the window and your body becomes public property. People suck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Yup, I'd either refuse to discuss it or lie. Less stress for you, which is better for babe.

Congratulations, btw!

Quoting RheaF:

That's what I was thinking. I had Hypermesis with my son and dropped 30 pounds in the beginning. I don't want to go through that again!! But he was perfectly healthy the entire time. I try to explain that to people, and that I am not trying to lose weight right now. Just eating healthy, and normal sized portions, but they insist I am going to harm the baby if I lose anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RheaF
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Oh don't even get me started!!! I have been bloated, so I am already in maternity jeans and look like I am about 5 months along. I have has people who know I am only 6-7 weeks come up and rub belly! They need to have a PSA about this,lol.

Quoting jellyphish:

I don't really understand why people think its ok to talk to a woman about her weight just because she's pregnant. It's like as soon as your uterus is occupied all normal social protocols go out the window and your body becomes public property. People suck!
Mrs.Salz
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally normal to lose weight at the beginning of pregnancy. A lot of overweight women will not gain much or even lose during pregnancy.

As long as you are eating well, baby should be just fine.

mrsrobin
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Your body is going too give to that baby before you. Don't worry. They are silly.
amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't look at the numbers, you eat healthy and what you want, if you feel like having sweets or fats go ahead and eat them, if you loose you loose if you gain you gain, as long as you are healthy and the baby is healthy, my mom gained 5 lb over the whole pregnancy with me and I turned out fine lol 

Nee86
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM
I have a healthy 2 year old and I lost close to 30 lbs while I was pregnant. It was not intentional but the doctor said it was fine again, as long as baby was doing okay.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN