Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

When labor stalls...

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM
  • 44 Replies

OBs want to give you drugs or cut you open. A midwife will often suggest other more 'natural' things. This frustrates me.

When a mom has been laboring for many hours her body gets tired. A 'stalled' labor may just be a body taking a break. Why are practitioners and women so eager to exhaust the mother/themselves? I understand that there are times when it may be necessary for babe to be born sooner rather than later, but in a normal, healthy birth why do this?

I've been reading Ina May's book and it saddens me how many times the midwives resort to AROM, nipple stimulation, etc.

by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM
never experienced a stalled labor but that does make sense. I would suspect a nice nap would help get things going when the body is rested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 4:22 PM
I have. A few times. Each time, the Ctx space out for a few hours and I got some much needed rest and then shortly after I had a baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Sorry. I do not like those kinds of sweeping statements. I had a wonderful hands-off OB. My next pregnancy I interviewed a midwife in a freestanding birthing center who induces with Cytotec at 40 weeks and will not "let" you go past. Scary!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I dislike the term "stalled labor" - I think it implies that something is abnormal, wrong, etc. when actually a pause in labor is very common.

I think it makes more sense (though more work) to see what could be causing it - the uterus taking a break before the pushing stage; mom is feeling tense, uncomfortable, watched, exposed, etc; negative attitude in the room, etc.

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM
I don't understand your point. In the OP I said both midwives and OBs mistreat stalled labors. The use if Cytotec by a midwife you must admit is not the norm and a hands off OB most certainly is not the norm. Exceptions are rare, I was speaking more in general.

Quoting louzannalady:

Sorry. I do not like those kinds of sweeping statements. I had a wonderful hands-off OB. My next pregnancy I interviewed a midwife in a freestanding birthing center who induces with Cytotec at 40 weeks and will not "let" you go past. Scary!
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Exactly. For myself the times my labor slowed I had been laboring a long time. I need rest, not to have my body pushed beyond endurance.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I dislike the term "stalled labor" - I think it implies that something is abnormal, wrong, etc. when actually a pause in labor is very common.

I think it makes more sense (though more work) to see what could be causing it - the uterus taking a break before the pushing stage; mom is feeling tense, uncomfortable, watched, exposed, etc; negative attitude in the room, etc.

cpflum08
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Prodromal labor is what my midwife called it. I was in labor for 12 hours and whe the sun came up my contractions slowed down. By the time she got to my house they had almost stopped. I asked her to check me, I was at 4cm she told me I could either go for a walk or rest. I wanted to see if they would come back so we went for a hour walk. I had two weak contractions so she told me to eat and get some rest, and to call if things pick back up. I had lunch, took cal mag and went to bed. I woke up 3 hours later to contractions. I had my baby 4 hours later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I had a break in my first labor - was presumed to be fully dilated (transition was over but no VE) and then I had no contractions, just sat there with some back pain. After 2 hours I had AROM and contractions started again, but I had a hard and exhausting two hours of pushing. Looking back the pause was likely because my body was resting before pushing and I was uncomfortable in the environment and didn't like how the hospital staff was sitting around watching me.

It's one of the reasons we decided to have a different type of birth this time.

Quoting joyful_mama:

Exactly. For myself the times my labor slowed I had been laboring a long time. I need rest, not to have my body pushed beyond endurance.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Terpsichore
by Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM

My labor stalled. Labor started at midnight, but slowed down when the sun came up and my body could not dilate past 4cm, even when the sun went back down. My midwife strongly suggested I eat and get rest. I got food but found it impossible to get any rest, from contraction pain. I tried laboring and tried to sleep in different positions, on a bed, in a birthing tub, wherever. After I'd been in labor over two days, when my blood pressure and the baby's heartrate both started climbing, I went to the hospital for pitocen and an epidural. I don't know what I could have done better. I'm pregnant with my second, so I'm open to suggestions!

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:53 PM
I know there are times when intervention is necessary. With my first my labor was very slow and unproductive. I really think, looking back now, that I was preeclamptic and that my OB was rather negligent and ignored warning signs. I'm amazed my dd and I both made it through that labor alive. Intervention was needed for me that time as well. It might not have been so if I'd been taking better care of myself but I can't really know that for sure. I do think that interventions are used when unnecessary far too often.

Quoting Terpsichore:

My labor stalled. Labor started at midnight, but slowed down when the sun came up and my body could not dilate past 4cm, even when the sun went back down. My midwife strongly suggested I eat and get rest. I got food but found it impossible to get any rest, from contraction pain. I tried laboring and tried to sleep in different positions, on a bed, in a birthing tub, wherever. After I'd been in labor over two days, when my blood pressure and the baby's heartrate both started climbing, I went to the hospital for pitocen and an epidural. I don't know what I could have done better. I'm pregnant with my second, so I'm open to suggestions!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN