Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did anyone use a...

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:44 AM
  • 15 Replies

Student Doula? I am considering it for when we finally get our BFP. I was curious what your thoughts are.

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:45 AM

yes.   :-)

Why not!     Not as much experience but still worth it.     GL!

Emschick38
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:32 AM

I would if I new one where I am. Someone who chooses to be a doula, in my opinion, does so out of passion to see babies born in the way the mother wants, not a job people do for money. So a student would still have the passion for the birthing process. And sometimes they are cheaper.

kbornman21
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:40 AM

That's what I was thinking (not about the cheaper part) but someone who still has the passion and WANT for it over it being a paycheck. I was going to have my best friend be my doula, but she has such a big mouth and attitude I'm going to need someone who isn't going to stress me out especially because I want a home birth.

Quoting Emschick38:

I would if I new one where I am. Someone who chooses to be a doula, in my opinion, does so out of passion to see babies born in the way the mother wants, not a job people do for money. So a student would still have the passion for the birthing process. And sometimes they are cheaper.

Sarah725
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM

My doula wasn't certified just a friend who had all her children naturally.  I'm sure a student would be good.

VintageWife
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I'm not sure that there are any around here. Everyone tells me I should be one though.

kierasmommy
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:26 PM
I'm a doula. I've been doing it pt for 5 years and I've been thru tons of training but I chose not to get certified. I'll let you what I tell everyone. Interview a few different doulas from different backgrounds. What it comes down to is that "click", someone who just gives you a good positive safe energy. All the experience and training in the world can't replace that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Yes! She did wonderful!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

No, but have many doula friends who were student doulas at one point.. :o)

catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:33 AM

My mom.. nb, bf, bw, cs, original crunchy sahm LOL.. was my doula! 

peaches_04
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 4:08 AM
Try craigslist.

Quoting VintageWife:

I'm not sure that there are any around here. Everyone tells me I should be one though.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)