Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Charging the batteries!

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM
  • 23 Replies

So, schools are already starting to cancel due to severe weather. We are suppose to get one to two inches of snow. Our first recordable snow this year, so here I am scrambling for candles, lighters, batteries, flashlights and charging everything I can get my hands on. Here is to living in MI and hoping for the best, you'd think after 28 years of living in this state, I'd be use to it. Having children, one under one, makes everything a bit more anxious making.

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Hope it's not too bad and you stay safe! We have very strong winds here that just started today. It was freezing rain and snowing mixed with rain. The wind is something else. It scares me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Why would you need all that and school closed for only an inch or two of snow?

We finally got some snow Tue/Wed, about 4 inches, and they still had school. I actually didn't even check first, there's no way they'd cancel!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Stay safe!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM

If we got that here in central NC they'd cancel school because we don't have plow trucks.  I grew up in PA though and it had to be feet to cancel.  We also lose power during practically every mild winter storm here, even though they're mild, because of ice.  Not sure where OP is but here people panic over the threat of 1/2".

Quoting larissalarie:

We finally got some snow Tue/Wed, about 4 inches, and they still had school. I actually didn't even check first, there's no way they'd cancel!

larissalarie
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Yeah it makes sense there, but I thought Michigan was a place that got tons of snow?

Quoting SadieJames:

If we got that here in central NC they'd cancel school because we don't have plow trucks.  I grew up in PA though and it had to be feet to cancel.  We also lose power during practically every mild winter storm here, even though they're mild, because of ice.  Not sure where OP is but here people panic over the threat of 1/2".

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok, now I'm in phx, az where we have litterally had snow one time ever in 1990 or something and it melted before it hit the ground. So I don't know, but really, 1-2" of snow and schools are closing? In MI no less? So when will the schools reopen? April?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah they should be used to it! I know they changed a policy at some schools though that temperature had to be above X degrees or school was canceled because of kids at bus stops.  I've seen the local news here report school closings as "temp related".  

Quoting larissalarie:

Yeah it makes sense there, but I thought Michigan was a place that got tons of snow?

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting larissalarie:

Nee86
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Have fun!! You're getting the storm I had to deal with last weekend (I'm in Oregon ). We got 8 inches with 70mph winds.
catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM

It usually does not get too cold, but we say the same (bold) each hurricane season! 

Quoting FebPenguins: So, schools are already starting to cancel due to severe weather. We are suppose to get one to two inches of snow. Our first recordable snow this year, so here I am scrambling for candles, lighters, batteries, flashlights and charging everything I can get my hands on. Here is to living in MI and hoping for the best, you'd think after 28 years of living in this state, I'd be use to it. Having children, one under one, makes everything a bit more anxious making.

peaches_04
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 4:05 AM
Good luck and stay safe

We had our first major snow storm last week. It sucked. Guess we sent it your way
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)