Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How bad is....

Posted by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:26 PM
  • 19 Replies
Tuna for you during pregnancy?

Asking to settle a debate.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:35 PM
I donno, isn't that something they give to pregnant women who are on WIC?
I can't stand fish, so I never paid attention when the doctor started in on the seafood/fish guidelines.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RheaF
by Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:36 PM
It is high in mercury though. My Midwife advised me to steer clear for the first trimester, and then only in small amounts. However, there are some who swear it is fine.
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:42 PM
I think less then 6-8 oz a week is fine. Sticking to smaller fresh water fish is better for the mercury level. Also the canned light tuna is supposed better than tuna fillets/fresh tuna steak.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Predatorial fish like tuna have the highest amount of mercury, which is way we are warned to stay away from it. Albacore tuna has the highest amount of all the tunas (which is sad because albacore is the only actually dolphin-safe tuna).
Our digestive systems are able to process a lot of toxins out. As far as how safe it is, I donno, I don't personally believe any amount of mercury is safe for anyone ever, so I don't eat fish. But I can tell you it's got to be a lot safer than the vaccines those same drs want to inject our muscular systems with!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Canned light tuna is made from smaller (i.e. younger) fish, so less time for mercury buildup.
KMadsen
by Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 9:53 PM

My doctor said no more than two servings per week.

I believe that when you find love, you hold onto it and cherish it because there is nothing finer, and it may never come again. -Mr. Feeny
FelixFelicis
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Who knows? I stick to less than 5oz a week.

GoodyBrook
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Millions of Japanese women will be horrified at your midwife's statement!  (And they tend to birth lots and lots of healthy babies over there!)  :)

lifeforchrist
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 11:05 PM

my friends always debate this. They think fish can process mercury...and will eat it while pregnant.  I don't buy it at all. There is way too much in the water ways for them to be able to handle it, and mercury doesn't belong in the human body. I don't eat canned tuna EVER while pregnant. Here's an article to read.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2006/06/24/do-not-eat-canned-tuna-especially-if-youre-pregnant.aspx

jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 24, 2012 at 11:09 PM
I totally agree. I don't eat it any canned food at all but especially not tuna. Even when I'm not pregnant

Quoting jellyphish:

Predatorial fish like tuna have the highest amount of mercury, which is way we are warned to stay away from it. Albacore tuna has the highest amount of all the tunas (which is sad because albacore is the only actually dolphin-safe tuna).

Our digestive systems are able to process a lot of toxins out. As far as how safe it is, I donno, I don't personally believe any amount of mercury is safe for anyone ever, so I don't eat fish. But I can tell you it's got to be a lot safer than the vaccines those same drs want to inject our muscular systems with!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN