Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Skin-to-skin: when is "immediately after birth"?

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM
  • 34 Replies

In regards to bonding with baby immediately after baby is born in a hospital:

Is it before the placenta is delivered? If the mother tears, when does that get stitched in relation to skin-to-skin?

My first pregnancy required pitocin and an epidural. As soon as baby was born, she got weighed and measured and bathed (and given eye drops against my wishes) while I was "helped" to deliver the placenta and stitched up. It took me a couple weeks to fall in love with her. So I'm wondering, especially if I successfully have an unmedicated birth this time, when exactly is "immediately after birth"?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM
For me it was before they cut the cord, before the placenta or stitching. Literally, they were born and the Dr. Placed them on my chest.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AshleySail
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM
As soon as the baby comes out, cord still attached, placenta still in, baby goes immediately to chest.

I had a csection.. I didnt get to see my baby for over an hour after 'birth'
We had problems breastfeeding for over 4 months and I exclusively pumped that whole time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moroccanmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:00 PM
2 moms liked this
For me...
vagina to chest
ACsLady
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Immediately means baby comes out and goes directly onto mama's chest. If someone else catches they baby, they hand him/her to you and let go. You should be the first person to hold your baby. Vitals for baby can be taken on mama and you can deliver the placenta while holding baby no problem. It's best to wait until the placenta is delivered to cut the cord anyway. Any necessary resuscitation can be done with baby on your chest as well. In those emergencies it's actually better to leave baby on the mom because her body will keep baby's vitals more stable. That skin on skin regulates the baby's temperature, breathing, and heartrate and helps him/her acclimate to the environment outside the womb. It also promotes better milk production and helps the uterus to clamp down faster and more efficiently to get the placenta out.

Weight and measurements can always be taken later. Mom and baby should have AT LEAST 30 uninterrupted minutes with each other...an hour is better. Bathing should be held off too. The vernix is what gives babies that new baby smell and it helps with bonding and the mother-baby attachment. It's an important part of knowing which baby is yours (not just on a conscious level, but letting your body know your baby too). The vernix should be rubbed into baby's skin, not wiped off. It's important for keeping out bad germs and keeping baby's skin healthy. Helps the baby's skin to not dry out as bad from the exposure to the air as well.

TTC2Long
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Ds went straight from coming out to on my chest. I wore a maternity tank so my chest was already bare. We delayed cord cutting until it stopped pulsating, about 10 mins. They did the initial checks there on my chest, and I nursed him. Then they took him and weighed and measured him, all in the room, and the GPs handed him around while I delivered the placenta and got stitched up. All done!
EslingerCrew11
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM
With my last, it was within mins of birth, while they removed the placenta and started closing me up. My first three, it wasn't till I got into recovery. My case is different though since I have csections
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM
This too

Quoting moroccanmommy:

For me...

vagina to chest
Mommy2justone
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:15 PM

She was on my chest as soon as she came out. They had to do a few stitches and deliver the placenta. We donated cord blood, so they had to wait a few minutes, then cut the cord and take the cord blood. She was on my chest the whole time. Then after a few minutes I started to get shaky and they took her to be weighed and all that fun stuff. I nursed her right after that. But she was my first so I listened to the nurses on when to nurse her (Which threw everything off) and they ended up giving her formula in the nursery during her hearing test against my wishes. 

Terpsichore
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Thanks so much for all the replies. I'm glad to have that question answered. :)

NowImAMom...
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:32 PM
My doctor did a quick wipe down and my SO cut the cord. Then baby was on my chest, I delivered the placenta, and got stitched while holding him. They took him after an hour for weighing and such, then I got him back and let family see him and hold him. Then he was mine, all mine. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)