Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

7-8mo still not eating..

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM
  • 24 Replies

I've tried giving ds sweet potatoes, avocado & bananas.. Ive handed him celery to chew on while we eat...He dislikes it all... He is a chunker.. Im so scared this is a sign he will be a picky eater like his sister & father :( ..

Anything else I can try with him? ... We are not being very pushy or anything...I try a new food maybe every few weeks a couple times that week.

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soulofsunmama
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this
He'll eat when he's ready, mine didn't until 14 months, and last week loved pears, this week throws them on floor for dogs=\
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Magnolia7
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM

My son really didn't start regularly eating solids until after 12 months.  He nursed for a total of three years and I really wouldn't call him a picky eater.  He's actually more adventerous than many adults I know. 

I think the key with all eaters is to only provide healthy foods that you want them to eat at home.  So some days they'll eat a little, other days they'll eat non-stop.  Either way, it'll all be good foods and they'll eat according to physical need and hunger.

Sounds like y'all are doing fine.

larissalarie
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Just wait and keep offering. There's no correlation between eating solids well early or not and pickiness. My kids weren't even introduced to solids at all until closer to 8 months. Even then I was pretty lazy about it and definitely wasn't offering daily. The youngest would barely touch them until between 15-18 months. They aren't picky kids at all. They will eat anything, stuff even I won't eat! No need to worry or rush this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vanityrayne
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM
I don't know if this is true but I heard it takes 7+ times for baby to try food to decide if they like it or not. Maybe Acorn Squash? Just bake it down and maybe he will like it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Just keep offering, he will eat eventually

ACsLady
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM
2 moms liked this

If you're exclusively nursing, there's no need for solids just yet. He may not want them at all and that's why he's not eating them. No biggie. Just give it a little while and wait 'til he shows more obvious interest.

NowImAMom...
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My 8 month old isn't a big food eater. Doesn't bother me, but people around me have been commenting. He'll eat when he's ready.

MommaTasha1003
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM

ill keep offering the same food then.. My dd drives me crazy! shes 6yo & has a very small palate :( We do try & make her take 1-6 bites depending on what we know we can get away with.. Some things she just gags on so its 1 bit.. Others she just highly dislikes so its more bites..

Quoting x-Mana-x:

Just keep offering, and when he's ready, he'll eat it :) It doesn't mean he's picky, just that he's a baby and solid foods are new and different, and not even necessary yet. Also, the taste/texture for a lot of food is something that needs to be developed. I heard somewhere that it can take up to 10 times of trying a new food for kids to like it, and that most "pickiness" is actually a result of parents not offering that many times before giving up on it. We went through that with my daughter with a bunch of different things, most notably broccoli, which she spit out for months and then suddenly one day she loved it! Now I'd call it one of her favorite foods.

MommaTasha1003
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Thanks ladies, we are in no rush.. But i am excited to start see him eat.. they are just too cute!.. I guess we will keep offering the same thing over & over on occassion.

The first week i offered Sweet Potatoes he seemed interested in opening his mouth for the spoon & was excited--- until he tasted it. Then it came back out .. Now he is less excited to see that spoon comming :( lol

Lo1427
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM
My daughter didn't start eating solids till around a year old. Look for cues like reaching for your food.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN