Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I've tried giving ds sweet potatoes, avocado & bananas.. Ive handed him celery to chew on while we eat...He dislikes it all... He is a chunker.. Im so scared this is a sign he will be a picky eater like his sister & father :( ..

Anything else I can try with him? ... We are not being very pushy or anything...I try a new food maybe every few weeks a couple times that week.

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Replies (21-24):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:14 AM
I don't see any correlation in his eating habits. My kids didn't eat much until about 10-11 months. My son ate EVERYTHING we put in front of him when he first started eating. Now he's extremely picky at almost 3 lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mitzi31
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly! My mom wants me to feed my 5 month dd solids now and she knows how I feel about it. I told her what if dd doesn't really want solids when she's 6 months and on? She says then you take the boob away and make her start eating real food... :-o! You don't just take formula away from babies!! She said that babies should be eating solids by 3 months for them to gain weight and be healthy... I told her animals don't... Animals don't start eating solids and weening till they are walking. We are all mammals. I believe there's something to that. I say they'll eat when they are ready. They know their body like we know ours. If they aren't wanting it I think it's bad to force it cause maybe they know something we don't. Maybe their body is telling them that it's not ready for that. Adults today reallly do have a lot of stomach and intestinal problems so whose to say that might not be one of the causes.

Quoting NowImAMom...:

My 8 month old isn't a big food eater. Doesn't bother me, but people around me have been commenting. He'll eat when he's ready.

Amberleigh81
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:01 PM
That's your problem! Just put soft chunks on the tray and let your LO explore on their own! Spoon feeding creates this weird false need to quantify intake... I do it now with my 14mo. If he's eating something gooey like yogurt or cottage cheese, I feed it to him or hand him the spoon, but I suddenly feel the need to "clean his plate". If I just give him chunks, he feeds himself and the pressure is off of me!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Agreed! 

Quoting Mitzi31: We are all mammals. I believe there's something to that. I say they'll eat when they are ready. They know their body like we know ours. If they aren't wanting it I think it's bad to force it cause maybe they know something we don't. Maybe their body is telling them that it's not ready for that. Adults today reallly do have a lot of stomach and intestinal problems so whose to say that might not be one of the causes.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                         ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)