Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

growth questions - ot eta instead of quoting everyone:)

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:35 PM
  • 29 Replies

i checked on WHO just so we are clear. my son is 28 months old and is 33.5 in tall and 28 lbs. he hasn't grown since july and hasn't gained weight since I think May or earlier. is that normal? WHO states he is like 23% for weight and less than 5% for height. he has never been super tall but the lack of growth and weight gain sort of concerns me. he doesn't eat a ton but i try to make sure what he does eat is healthy. and example menu would be...

breakfast: oatmeal or yogurt and cheerios

lunch: peanut butter sandwhich (1/2) on whole wheat bread and carrots or fruit

snack: whatever daycare provides

Dinner: he almost never eats much dinner but i provide salad or veggie and whatever we are having such as tacos, pasta w/ meat, etc.

ETA: He is developmentally sort of behind. he is in speech therapy but catching up well, can't jump yet, can't catch a ball or even try, but he is already learning his colors, has several two word phrases, and is learning to do real puzzles.

He is not breastfed. I didn't bf more than 5 weeks :(. i weaned him off cow's milk but now i'm thinking that was a bad idea. he is somewhat picky. he loves fruit, but a lot of other stuff he turns his nose up at. he won't eat avocadoes or other healhty fats, hence the pb every day.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Notes:

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM
If he still breastfed? If not, are you giving him some sort of supplement drink to help fill in his diet? If that's all he's really getting (no BM or pediasure), it doesn't seem like enough, but it's hard for me to say. My almost 2 year old eats less, but he still nurses tons and he's never not grown.

How are milestones? Is his doctor concerned?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:34 AM

If he is nursing, I would not worry.. :o) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                         ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Here's a typical menu for my 20 month old  (29 lbs and abt 34 inches tall, almost exactly the size of your son!)  He self-weaned about 15 months, FYI:

Breakfast:  One full banana, 4 ounces whole milk, 4 ounces fruit smoothie with kefir

Lunch:  One entire grill cheese sandwich, 4 ounces whole milk, 3 tablespoons vegetables (like green beans or corn)

Snacks throughout the day:  string cheese, goldfish crackers, and 4 ounces of applesauce, water

Dinner:  Whatever DH and I eat.  Last night was 2 ounces of chicken, 3 tablespoons rice, and about 4 whole mushrooms.  Dessert was mandarin orange slices.  4 ounces whole milk.

My DS hasn't gained significant weight since he weaned...  He was seriously chunky, but now he's grown into a string bean!

NDFanatik
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:57 AM

How active?  His he developmentally on track?  Is he still nursing or recieving some kind of fluid nourishment? 

For my nursing babies, they all did just about that.  So for *me* it sounds normal.  But if he's not getting some other nutritional supplement such as breastmilk, then I might think it's a little bit off.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM
I don't think it sounds like he eats a lot. My 15 month old eats more than that. Is he a really picky eater? I promise I mean that in the nicest way possible. Markus is a picky eater but he still eats more than that at meals although some dinners he barely eats at all. He's 34 months old 38", and 31 lbs. IDK though.... Markus didn't grow for a long time either. He hit a plateau. I was getting really worried about his eating habits. I started giving him coconut milk (he's still nursing too), coconut yogurt (he's a smooth texture junkie), and smoothies. My kids love green smoothies with avocado, coconut yogurt, coconut milk, juice, green apples, kiwi, bananas, chopped spinach or kale, and whatever other fruit I want to throw in there. Avocado hidden in foods can give them good, healthy calories. Plus his OT told us to do whatever it took to get him to eat more. He loves sauces on his food because he's under responsive to how food tastes, which means he loves sour, spicy, and very flavorful food because otherwise food tastes bland to him (sensory related). He actually asks for pepper which I thought was totally nuts! So, we give him very flavorful foods. He loves hummus. It doesn't matter what kind. He will eat the heavy garlic one and dip everything in it so we put it on his plate to get him to eat lol

I also try to get my kids to snack more. They eat a couple snacks from afternoon to bedtime. And a lot of times a snack between breakfast and lunch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Quoting catholicmamamia:

EthansMomma2010
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM

i edited to add. but will quote you specifically :). he won't do smoothies. i make a fruit and pb smoothie every morning for me and tried to get him to eat it with the idea that if he liked that i could add some greens to his (i hate green smoothies) and fill in the nutrition. nope. no go. i try t offer him snacks but then he refuses meals. i tried to offer him more at meals and he just hands me his plate and says he's done. he won't eat more than what i listed! idk what to do! i feel like the crappiest mom ever for not bf him but at the time i just couldn't make it work for us. and he never had problems when he drank formula. pediasure gives him diarhea. actually whole milk doesn't exactly make his poops nice, but they are liveable. i cut the milk when he turned 2 because i thought that's what i was supposed to do since dairy "isn't neccessary", but now we have this problem. :(

Quoting jconney80:

I don't think it sounds like he eats a lot. My 15 month old eats more than that. Is he a really picky eater? I promise I mean that in the nicest way possible. Markus is a picky eater but he still eats more than that at meals although some dinners he barely eats at all. He's 34 months old 38", and 31 lbs. IDK though.... Markus didn't grow for a long time either. He hit a plateau. I was getting really worried about his eating habits. I started giving him coconut milk (he's still nursing too), coconut yogurt (he's a smooth texture junkie), and smoothies. My kids love green smoothies with avocado, coconut yogurt, coconut milk, juice, green apples, kiwi, bananas, chopped spinach or kale, and whatever other fruit I want to throw in there. Avocado hidden in foods can give them good, healthy calories. Plus his OT told us to do whatever it took to get him to eat more. He loves sauces on his food because he's under responsive to how food tastes, which means he loves sour, spicy, and very flavorful food because otherwise food tastes bland to him (sensory related). He actually asks for pepper which I thought was totally nuts! So, we give him very flavorful foods. He loves hummus. It doesn't matter what kind. He will eat the heavy garlic one and dip everything in it so we put it on his plate to get him to eat lol

I also try to get my kids to snack more. They eat a couple snacks from afternoon to bedtime. And a lot of times a snack between breakfast and lunch.

EthansMomma2010
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:58 PM

we didn't nurse :( he won't drink smoothies. :( i feel like i failed him big time.

Quoting catholicmamamia:

vanityrayne
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM
Hm.. My dd is 2.5yrs and hasn't gained since June. She's very active tho and eats a ton. She 30lbs. I can't recall how tall she is.

Does he like ovaltine? That's what I give dd on days she isn't hungry. Almond milk and ovaltine. She loves it. Does he like eggs?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:14 PM

your guy is just younger than mine, he cant catch a ball either..doesnt really try..he JUST learned to jump and only because we have a trampoline..he does know colors, numbers and letters.  You may find he knows them but doesnt know how to tell you yet, thats common in slow talkers!

My guy is taller than yours but weighs less his size sounds fine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)