Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

growth questions - ot eta instead of quoting everyone:)

i checked on WHO just so we are clear. my son is 28 months old and is 33.5 in tall and 28 lbs. he hasn't grown since july and hasn't gained weight since I think May or earlier. is that normal? WHO states he is like 23% for weight and less than 5% for height. he has never been super tall but the lack of growth and weight gain sort of concerns me. he doesn't eat a ton but i try to make sure what he does eat is healthy. and example menu would be...

breakfast: oatmeal or yogurt and cheerios

lunch: peanut butter sandwhich (1/2) on whole wheat bread and carrots or fruit

snack: whatever daycare provides

Dinner: he almost never eats much dinner but i provide salad or veggie and whatever we are having such as tacos, pasta w/ meat, etc.

ETA: He is developmentally sort of behind. he is in speech therapy but catching up well, can't jump yet, can't catch a ball or even try, but he is already learning his colors, has several two word phrases, and is learning to do real puzzles.

He is not breastfed. I didn't bf more than 5 weeks :(. i weaned him off cow's milk but now i'm thinking that was a bad idea. he is somewhat picky. he loves fruit, but a lot of other stuff he turns his nose up at. he won't eat avocadoes or other healhty fats, hence the pb every day.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Notes:

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Replies (21-29):
EthansMomma2010
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:43 PM

thanks. any idea if costco carries it? we are gonna get a membership soon for their produce and bison meat.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Try getting canned coconut milk and mixing it with a smoothie, oatmeal, etc. It has a mild, slightly sweet flavor and lots of fats. You can also use it in a lot of desserts.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=native%20forest%20coconut%20milk&sprefix=native%20forest%20,aps,208&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anative%20forest%20coconut%20milk

You can also get it in the Asian section of the grocery store but it's less expensive online. Avoid "light" milk because it just means it's been watered down.

Mrs.Salz
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM

They don't, I've scoured the place for it lol. It's $2-3+/can at our regular grocery store or Target so the one from amazon is the best price I've seen.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

thanks. any idea if costco carries it? we are gonna get a membership soon for their produce and bison meat.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Try getting canned coconut milk and mixing it with a smoothie, oatmeal, etc. It has a mild, slightly sweet flavor and lots of fats. You can also use it in a lot of desserts.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=native%20forest%20coconut%20milk&sprefix=native%20forest%20,aps,208&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anative%20forest%20coconut%20milk

You can also get it in the Asian section of the grocery store but it's less expensive online. Avoid "light" milk because it just means it's been watered down.

EthansMomma2010
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM

darn. that's so pricey still. why does wic have to be stupid and not cover this kind of stuff? i pulled him off milk partly because wic quit covering whole milk and i think the watered down stuff is pointless and gross.

do you think he's at a point where i should back off on the "you eat what we eat" motto and prepare whatever he will eat? it's not like  i prepare weird stuff for dinner, but it's definately not always his favorite.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

They don't, I've scoured the place for it lol. It's $2-3+/can at our regular grocery store or Target so the one from amazon is the best price I've seen.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Have you tried raw milk? He might like the taste better. You can give him some raw milk yogurt

EthansMomma2010
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:25 PM

to be honest i don't know anything about raw milk so i'm sort of scared of it. i can do some research though. part of the prbblem is that currently we don't have a ton of money. some of the more expensive options are gonna be hard for us to do for him.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Have you tried raw milk? He might like the taste better. You can give him some raw milk yogurt

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Im confused, why do you think something is wrong with him?
EthansMomma2010
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:52 PM

umm...because he hasn't grown or gained weight in over 6 months. he has only gained 8 lbs since he was 6 months old. now he is 28 months old. and because he is falling very low on the growth charts. he doesn't eat very much ever.

Quoting Sarah725:

Im confused, why do you think something is wrong with him?

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Quoting EthansMomma2010:

some children are just smaller. Im sure he will eat when hes hungry, i wouldnt be concerned about that. I know kids that arent even on the growth chart <1% they are so small.
EthansMomma2010
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Quoting Sarah725:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

some children are just smaller. Im sure he will eat when hes hungry, i wouldnt be concerned about that. I know kids that arent even on the growth chart <1% they are so small.
but he wasnt always small. i expected some slowing in growth when he turned 1 and became mobile, but 18 months later he still hasn't made up for any of it.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Notes:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN