Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

*Updated with birth story* Mecenonum and placenta encapsulation

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM
  • 20 Replies
Mikinley Patrick Joseph was born at 2:33 pm in dec 28. I had an amazing birth. Contractions started for real at 8 pm the night before, and at midnight my water broke. It was green so my doc wanted me at the hospital for intermittent monitoring. Not my plan, but either was meconeum. 1 am the pain was really picking up and I was having a hard time getting into the 'zone'. I was really vocalizing. Nothing brought relief. The nurse suggested i try the shower, which was always my plan I just couldn't think straight. I was really able to get into focus. The nurse only came in maybe 3 times with a quick hand held monitor and I didn't even honestly notice her. I couldn't even open my eyes or answer anything to amuse anyone if I wanted to. I was in very hard labor. My hubby was keeping loose tabs on my contractions and updating the nurse every now and then, which I didn't know. I was in the shower until 10 am. I had no idea, it was like a time warp. I could have sworn I hit transition and that was the only thing keeping me going. I had nothing left. I was sobbing through contractions, which were 15 seconds apart and 2 minutes long at that point, and I was shaking and nauseous. I had my doctor come check me because I swore I was so close. She checked me and I was 5. My heart sank. I lost it. I needed relief. She tried to talk me out of it because I was clear I wanted a 100% natural birth, but I was persistent. Well as things have it, I got my epidural and wouldn't you know it, it didn't take! It brought me enough relief for about an hour that I could doze off between contractions. That's ok, that's all I needed. Baby was born into a perfect delivery room. There was no pushing coaching, no lights on, I delivered him on my side with hubby holding my leg up. There wasn't a single thing done to him without my permission. He went right to my chest. My plan was to not cut the cord until the placenta delivered, but due to my PPH the doctor asked if she could cut it a but early. It had been about 10 mins so I ok'd it. No eye goup, no shots, just a perfect baby boy. Pic on p 2

So I had my baby (yay) and in soo tired I'm going to keep this short for now. He had meconeum in the amniotic fluid, probably because he was a 42 weeker, he's fine and all, but I have my placenta, my husband rinsed it off well and put it in the freezer until I get home to help encapsulate it but does anyone know anything about meconeum stained placentas? Is it still good to use? Sorry if this is piecey and doesn't make sence, I haven't slept in 2 days. Thanks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rmgriffberg
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:13 PM

BUMP!

kcangel63
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Can I encapsulate my placenta if my baby passed meconium before birth?

Yes. Meconium is sterile, it does not contain fecal bacteria that normal stool does. Meconium is dangerous for the infant to inhale, but is otherwise harmless.

http://www.placentawise.com/faq/

Wash it well in vinegar first.
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Thank you!

Quoting kcangel63:

Can I encapsulate my placenta if my baby passed meconium before birth?

Yes. Meconium is sterile, it does not contain fecal bacteria that normal stool does. Meconium is dangerous for the infant to inhale, but is otherwise harmless. Additionally, your placenta is thoroughly washed before encapsulation preparation.

larissalarie
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM
I donno, but congrats on the new arrival!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:15 AM
I used my placenta and it was covered in meconium. It was fine. My hubby washed it off really well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDFanatik
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM

It is not contraindicated.  HAPPY ENCAPSULATING!! 

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

CONGRATS!!!!!!! I've been stalking to see if you had the baby!!!!

Sounds like its fine. Hope you feel better soon. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Quoting jconney80:

I used my placenta and it was covered in meconium. It was fine. My hubby washed it off really well.

good to know!
catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Can I encapsulate my placenta if my baby passed meconium before birth....    Yes. Meconium is sterile, it does not contain fecal bacteria that normal stool does. Meconium is dangerous for the infant to inhale, but is otherwise harmless. Additionally, your placenta is thoroughly washed before encapsulation preparation.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                         ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Quoting ceckyl: Thank you!
Quoting kcangel63

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                         ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)