Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Anyone do this?

Our pediatrician is like 30 minutes away.  I have a 3.5 year old, 1.5 year old, and a newborn come February.  So that's an hour round trip.  My husband is gone 12 hours a day 5-6 days a week at work, so I can't really schedule appointments during his days off to get help with the other kids since usually he only has Sundays off.

We aren't vaccinating so the frequency of the visits is not really necessary. THAT BEING SAID, I would OF COURSE take my baby (and other kids) into the doctor if I had any kind of concern, if they were ill, or something just seemed off.  My doctor gave me a website that has all of the developmental checklists when I was worried about my son's development, so I check those every three-ish months.  If my kids were not meeting them and I felt they were behind, again, I'd take them into the doctor.  I weigh and measure my kids monthly for their baby books, so again, if I noticed a drop in their growth pattern or anything, I'd take them in to be evaluated. 

I just don't know if I want to go in as often as the well baby checks are scheduled for a 5 minute conversation since there is nothing to do besides weigh and measure them and ask how things are going lol.

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
Cynthje
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:35 PM

They dont exist here, so i would not worry about it too  much

jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM
I agree. I think I'd still go but not as often as they suggest. I do go to my kids well checkups and I'm glad I do because when I needed referrals from them I can just call them and they do it.

Quoting jellyphish:

I go to all well visits even though my girls are not vaccinated. I like having that relationship so that if something comes up I know I can trust the dr and his references to offer good care and not Pester me about shots.

Plus he checks for things I cant (I would have never detected Isis' blood abnormalities on my own).

That said, if I hadn't found a ped I trust who totally respects my decisions, I wouldn't go either. But I do think it's important to have a relationship with a good one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:02 AM
I do them. Some people don't. to each their own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:06 AM

So far we have gone to all recommended visits for both of my kids.  Our clinic won't allow referrals without having been seen first, regardless of relationship. :( My pediatrician has apologized before because of that but it's not her fault the clinic has those rules lol. You are so lucky you can just get yours over the phone!

Quoting jconney80:

I agree. I think I'd still go but not as often as they suggest. I do go to my kids well checkups and I'm glad I do because when I needed referrals from them I can just call them and they do it.

Quoting jellyphish:

I go to all well visits even though my girls are not vaccinated. I like having that relationship so that if something comes up I know I can trust the dr and his references to offer good care and not Pester me about shots.

Plus he checks for things I cant (I would have never detected Isis' blood abnormalities on my own).

That said, if I hadn't found a ped I trust who totally respects my decisions, I wouldn't go either. But I do think it's important to have a relationship with a good one.

XxPixiesworldxX
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I stopped taking my son to well checks after his 3 month check up because we dont vax and we got bullied by the nurse about it. I only ever took him in when he had flare ups of croup that were bad enough to need steroids because he couldnt breath. Well, he didnt get sick for about a year (imagine that, a breastfed unvaxxed child being HEALTHY? lol) and when he did finally get another case of croup I called to get an appointment and they told me I was no longer welcome because I was a risk to their practice because of the combo of not vaxxing and not coming for well checks.. (supposedly she would have kept us in their practice even without vaxing as long as we came in for well checks)... anyway, we no longer have a ped and its been fine. If one of the kids get super sick (has only happened once since ped dropped us) we use prompt care (not the ER) and it is fine.

PEEK05
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I should ask their policy on that lol. Thankfully no one has said anything about the no vaccinations. :) They just ask at each visit if we have changed our minds (so that they could have the nurse prepare them if we did), and I say no but thanks for asking and that's it.

Quoting XxPixiesworldxX:

I stopped taking my son to well checks after his 3 month check up because we dont vax and we got bullied by the nurse about it. I only ever took him in when he had flare ups of croup that were bad enough to need steroids because he couldnt breath. Well, he didnt get sick for about a year (imagine that, a breastfed unvaxxed child being HEALTHY? lol) and when he did finally get another case of croup I called to get an appointment and they told me I was no longer welcome because I was a risk to their practice because of the combo of not vaxxing and not coming for well checks.. (supposedly she would have kept us in their practice even without vaxing as long as we came in for well checks)... anyway, we no longer have a ped and its been fine. If one of the kids get super sick (has only happened once since ped dropped us) we use prompt care (not the ER) and it is fine.

ruby_jewel_04
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:46 AM
I hate well child visits. I only go when we are sick. The doctors always think my kids are over/under weight, too tall/too short, way ahead/behind where they should be. They can't make up their damn mind, and it varies from doctor to doctor. They have no idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Me too. We are due for a year check up and I hate all the peds we have seen. I need to find someone else.

Quoting WhitleyLyles:

I freaking hate well visits. with a passion
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I hear you.  I tried a family doctor closer to home since there are no pediatricians here, so I wanted to see if we could just switch locations to one here and just see a family doctor, but I won't be going back.  They insisted my 20 month old is WAYYYYYY too small and that there is something wrong with him and needs to be checked out and blah blah blah.  He is 20 pounds and 32".  He has ALWAYS been small.  His pediatrician just says that he is small and shows me his growth chart which shows that his curve is perfect, just always along the 2-5% (for weight).  He actually shot up in height and went from a consistent 10% to 40% in one month.  So she thinks he is perfect, and so do I.  I was really offended by that family doctor.

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

I hate well child visits. I only go when we are sick. The doctors always think my kids are over/under weight, too tall/too short, way ahead/behind where they should be. They can't make up thirty mind, and it varies from doctor to doctor. They have no idea.

HeatherRainbow
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Usually, the reasons for going to peds is to get the vax. There are so many of them! So, since you are not doing them... I'd suggest doing yearly visits. That's what I'm going to do. (I'm not going to vax either.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)