Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone do this?

Our pediatrician is like 30 minutes away.  I have a 3.5 year old, 1.5 year old, and a newborn come February.  So that's an hour round trip.  My husband is gone 12 hours a day 5-6 days a week at work, so I can't really schedule appointments during his days off to get help with the other kids since usually he only has Sundays off.

We aren't vaccinating so the frequency of the visits is not really necessary. THAT BEING SAID, I would OF COURSE take my baby (and other kids) into the doctor if I had any kind of concern, if they were ill, or something just seemed off.  My doctor gave me a website that has all of the developmental checklists when I was worried about my son's development, so I check those every three-ish months.  If my kids were not meeting them and I felt they were behind, again, I'd take them into the doctor.  I weigh and measure my kids monthly for their baby books, so again, if I noticed a drop in their growth pattern or anything, I'd take them in to be evaluated. 

I just don't know if I want to go in as often as the well baby checks are scheduled for a 5 minute conversation since there is nothing to do besides weigh and measure them and ask how things are going lol.

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Replies (21-26):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I have to due to ins but if that wasn't a factor I wouldn't go to them

Char07
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM
I take the older ones yearly and my 2 mo has been once and they requested him back at 4 mo but I'll probably prolong it until closer to 6 then hope I can just not take him again until a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM
I wouldnt do it.
RochelleFS
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:35 PM
This exactly. I want to be comfortable with a doc and my kids too, b efore they get sick. We don't vax and our pedi respects that and our natural lifestyle even when most docs would disagree. I think that trusting and respectful relationship is key.

Quoting jellyphish:

I go to all well visits even though my girls are not vaccinated. I like having that relationship so that if something comes up I know I can trust the dr and his references to offer good care and not Pester me about shots.

Plus he checks for things I cant (I would have never detected Isis' blood abnormalities on my own).

That said, if I hadn't found a ped I trust who totally respects my decisions, I wouldn't go either. But I do think it's important to have a relationship with a good one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gamelas
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM

We are a non-vax'ing family and I don't do well baby checks.  I monitor weight gain on my own.  i take them in shortly after the birth to establish patient care and then I don't go unless I have a question or concern.  With my first I did a newborn check-in and then I didn't see them again till 12 months.  My twins were seen as newborns and then at 6 months and then at a year.  I think it's important to go in as a newborn once to have a thourough exam and establish a good report with the group.  But "well baby" checks are designed  to the vaccine schedule.  So make your own 1 year check up schedule as you see fit :)

MrsErdos2011
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Personally, I like to take my son so I can see how he's gaining and how much he grows but that's because there are 4 boys in my family that are within in 7 months of him either way (1 nephew is 7 mo older, 1 is 6 weeks younger, 1 nephew is 6 mo younger) and they are all around the same size.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)