Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

well child checkups?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM
  • 26 Replies

Does anyone else skip this? My first went to the 2,4,9,12,18mo checkups. They didn't help at all but tell me she's too skinny. I had to discover her gluten problems on my own, since they only reccomended steroid cream for her rashes, ans they just push vaccines.

with my second I only went to a 1wk, and 2mo checkup, she's now 8months. My mil thinks I'm a terrible parent and my children are going to die. She obviously doesn't know I don't vaccinate lol. So what are your thoughts on it? Yay or nay

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I go to all well visits even though my girls are not vaccinated. I like having that relationship so that if something comes up I know I can trust the dr and his references to offer good care and not Pester me about shots.
Plus he checks for things I cant (I would have never detected Isis' blood abnormalities on my own).

That said, if I hadn't found a ped I trust who totally respects my decisions, I wouldn't go either. But I do think it's important to have a relationship with a good one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:31 PM

We do them. I have a great pediatrician for my kids. I don't get opposition from them at all. Never was told my kids were too skinny or fat, in fact I was worried when my son wasn't gaining and they told me that he is still within range at 5% and totally normal and healthy and meeting all his milestones. I did get some opposition when I chose not to vaccinate but ultimately it's my choice and I am not bothered about it anymore.

They also have certain times for well child check ups after they've disinfected the entire office. They have them first thing in the morning and then again in the afternoon.

unspecified42
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM
I go. My surrogate daughters condition was first noticed by her pediatrician at well child check ups. I definitely see the value.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EslingerCrew11
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:45 PM
We also go. Im a little nervous about one of the two we have coming in January. We don't vax the baby right now, I'm not sure if I want to continue to vax our almost 3 yo though and don't really feel liking dealing with their dr. about it :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TippyD
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:11 PM

we have started only going when she is sick. there is no need to take my healthy child in, around sick kids, and expose her to God knows what..

bellaamore
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I take mine,as its good to have a record of well checks in case of a cps visit.. I worry about that since we are nonvaxers, homebirthers, bedsharers, etc.

I just found a dr that fit my beliefs. We never get vaccines pushed and i actually look forward to the viits. In fact, the dr will be at my next homebirth to do a newborn exam.

We also have a sick kid waiting area and a well kid waiting area, so no fear of illness.

vanityrayne
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Same. My 4.5 month old dd has been twice. 3 days after she was born due to severe Jaundice and once at 2 months. That's it. Hubby and I use to work in hospitals and there's things you only expose your child to there. We do have to go this coming week our oldest dd tho.

Quoting TippyD:

we have started only going when she is sick. there is no need to take my healthy child in, around sick kids, and expose her to God knows what..

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NDFanatik
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:02 PM

My youngest son went to the doctor for the first time at 4mths old to establish him as a patient.  His 2nd doctor visit was at 1yr for a 5min checkup.  From this point on all of the kids will only go once a year. 

My first two kids went on schedule until we moved to my area and a provider refused to vaccinate on our schedule (we don't follow cdc and do an alternative/delayed schedule).  We reevaluated why exactly we took the kids to the checkups and what benefits it posed and decided that it was a big waste of time and only to do once a year checkups and only go if they were sick otherwise.  All vaccinations that we did/do were from then on done at county health clinic instead of the doctor's office at our discretion.  If we didn't vaccinate at all, they would never see anyone except once a year, lol. 

My current doctor does not oppose my parenting choices, but he is also not SUPPORTIVE of them.  If I had someone who was truly supportive (like a naturopath) then I would be more willing to take my kids.  But where I live, they don't have "those kind" of doctors.  *rolls eyes*

Amy Lynn, Loving wife, Mom to Christopher, Katherine, & Matthew, Natural Childbirth/VBAC & breastfeeding supporter & advocate.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:09 PM

well check ups are required we stopped going after 2 years even for physicals lol

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:13 PM

we go to all but the 3 year check (pissed off the pedi and WIC with that one lol) ours are 2wks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 18 months, 2 yr, 3 yr (we skip) and soon to be a 4 yr check coming up for oldest. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN