Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I can't leave the room without her crying

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM
  • 20 Replies
My 5 month old screams her head off every time I even look like I'm going to leave the room. She screams until I come back and pick her up, even if she can see me the whole time. She screams even if someone is holding her and I leave the room. That is on the off chance that she'll happily let someone else hold her. I'm talking quick trips out of the room- getting my 4 & 5 year olds a drink, or going to the bathroom. What can I do??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:15 PM

My DS went through the same thing when he started becoming mobile. I usually just brought him with me. Babywearing was helpful too.

JMmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:18 PM
When you figure it out let me know. My one year old is the same way. He will venture off on his own or with brother or sister to play sometimes but most of the time if he isn't with me, he's crying. And a lot of the time he is with me he is crying. Oh and he doesn't like to be worn constantly. He will tolerate it while we are out for a little while but forget it at home.

I have just been talking to him sweetly when I go pee or whatever and come right back. Hopefully, he figures out that I won't be gone forever eventually.
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM
My 11 month old is like this currently and i just take him with and now trying to find a second hand good quality carrier since the one i want is expensive
VintageWife
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:19 PM

You can babywear, let her scream while also talking to her so she knows you're right there or try some sort of distraction technique. Put a toy in her hand that will keep her attention or have big sibling play peekaboo or something.

NDFanatik
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I have learned that this passes.  But in this moment, my baby needs me for something even if it is just the closeness of my body.   Babywearing is very helpful during this phase (and when it comes around a few other times later on).  My little man dd this the other night so into the mei tai he went... and all was right in the world.  I know it's rough now, but before too long they'll be running out of your arms and too busy for those long afternoon snuggles- take advantage of it while you can, even if it iseems cumbersome in the moment. 

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Quoting NDFanatik: I have learned that this passes.  But in this moment, my baby needs me for something even if it is just the closeness of my body.   Babywearing is very helpful during this phase (and when it comes around a few other times later on).  My little man dd this the other night so into the mei tai he went... and all was right in the world.  I know it's rough now, but before too long they'll be running out of your arms and too busy for those long afternoon snuggles- take advantage of it while you can, even if it seems cumbersome in the moment. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                         ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

luvmyminiwheats
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I do baby-wear (just got an Oh Snap! Yay! But have been using a Sakura Bloom RS previously) but for just going to the bathroom or getting some water it seems like it would take longer to get her on than it would to do what I left the room to do :(
soulofsunmama
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:19 PM
This was us too:)
They grow out of it, now he just follows me from room to room chattering or screaming, whatever the mood,,lol...

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

My DS went through the same thing when he started becoming mobile. I usually just brought him with me. Babywearing was helpful too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soulofsunmama
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:19 PM
3 moms liked this

Eta, this makes me belly giggle every.time.I.see.it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Lol, add a few dog paws for me. 

Quoting soulofsunmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN