Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

home birth

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:57 AM
  • 33 Replies
2 moms liked this

My husband has agreed to a homebirth!!!  I am very excited. We went to the hospital yesterday that I would be delivering in and met one of the 4 drs that could deliver our baby. DHs exact words were "Over my dead body will you deliver in this place."

We were told that because I will be VBACing (I have had a successful VBAC already) they will not allow me certain things and some things are mandatory. Among the mandatory things were continual monitoring (which means no walking around except in the labor room,) IV, once contractions hit a certain point they put an intra uterine monitor and scalp monitor.  and If I need a c-section for any reason, that they feel is relevent, They will put me under general, and DH wouldnt be allowed into the room and it would take at least 2 hours before I would be able to hold the baby.  Important thing is that DH finally agreed to the homebirth. And we found a midwife that our insurance will reimburse us for, only 80%, but still awesome!!

What are somethings that you had at your homebirth that you are glad you did? Or some things that might have made it go easier? 

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDFanatik
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this

My "necessaries" were my POOL!!!!!!, birth ball, heating pad, something to sustain me (food, drinks), and soft music.  Otherwise, I wanted to be left alone and for everyone to stfu.  I am a lone birther, lol. 

H.I.S.
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM

BUMP!

tansyflower
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

i loved both of my water births!   would never want to birth without a tub....imo it makes it so much better :)

i was also crazy happy i decided to do my second birth at my midwifes house.  my mom had been threatening to crash my birth and i found out later that she actually showed up at my house, walked in, watched tv for a few hours then got sick of hearing my dog whining in the basement and went home.  if she would have shown up while i was there i would have been beyond angry and it really would have negatively impacted my birthing experience.

plus my midwife has this beautiful house out in the country.  it was so quiet and serene and she had everything set up when we got there so there was nothing hectic.  just walked in, got into a pair of comfy jammies and hung out!  an hour later i hopped in the tub and had a baby.....then afterwards she cooked up this fabulous meal for us!  grilled organic cajun style chicken breasts with a baby spinach salad.  we all sat around the table and toasted our new little one enjoying every single bite.  then we packed up and drove home to a nice quiet, clean house and enjoyed our new little one :)

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM

bump

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM
I birthed in our tub (it's a big one!) if I had another that is the way to go!!

I made sure I had a clean set of sheets, plastic sheet then a second set of sheets on the bed so I didn't have to worry about that.

I love my witch hazel pads for after.

Only thing I would really do different is I would make/buy some pp mama cloth. I had a bit of a reaction to the pads I used.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Congrats on the big decision, happy home birthing :)
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Wow. That's sounds like an amazing birth. I am happy with most my experience birthing my DD but I was still in a hospital (well birth center attached to hospital) and they didn't allow cosleeping. I have a baby who is JUST NOW starting to sleep alone for more than 15 min at a time and she is 11.5 months. Needless to say that as a newbie she did not want to sleep in her bassinet and I did not sleep at all until I was discharged.

I am so excited to have a home birth someday.

Quoting tansyflower:

i loved both of my water births!   would never want to birth without a tub....imo it makes it so much better :)

i was also crazy happy i decided to do my second birth at my midwifes house.  my mom had been threatening to crash my birth and i found out later that she actually showed up at my house, walked in, watched tv for a few hours then got sick of hearing my dog whining in the basement and went home.  if she would have shown up while i was there i would have been beyond angry and it really would have negatively impacted my birthing experience.

plus my midwife has this beautiful house out in the country.  it was so quiet and serene and she had everything set up when we got there so there was nothing hectic.  just walked in, got into a pair of comfy jammies and hung out!  an hour later i hopped in the tub and had a baby.....then afterwards she cooked up this fabulous meal for us!  grilled organic cajun style chicken breasts with a baby spinach salad.  we all sat around the table and toasted our new little one enjoying every single bite.  then we packed up and drove home to a nice quiet, clean house and enjoyed our new little one :)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I'm having my first homebirth in less than two months, so I haven't experienced this yet but it makes sense....  I have heard from several mamas to make sure to have postpartum help. When you're in the hospital, you spend the first 1-4 days in bed. At home, it's a lot easier to get up and do too much too soon.

madisonsmom2005
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Congrats and good luck! I am having my first homebirth in July so since I can't help you with the question you asked, here is a bump! :)

~Jen~ Group Owner of Bringing Birth Home.    http://www.cafemom.com/group/116103                                                                                                              I am a home birthing, breastfeeding, midwife using, cloth diapering, delayed cord cutting, natural birthing type of mama!

Pregnancy%20ticker
Peera
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Congrats! Mine has recently gotten on board the homebirth wagon too, although I don't think he would be brave enough if it was a VBAC.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)