Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Not able to breastfeed edit with update-* Another question*

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM
  • 25 Replies
2 moms liked this

Has any Mom's out there planned on breastfeeding and then found out after they delivered that they could not? Did you feel guilty about it? Like maybe if you kept trying it would work out?

Update: After reading everyone's replies and doing some research I decided that I am going to try breasfeeding again. I did it last night with some success and will be purchasing a breast pump, nursing pads and nursing bras. I didn't have any breast milk in me when I was at the hospital and very little colustrum. If they would have told me that it may take a few days to come in and to give her formula in the meantime then I would have not given up so quickly.

I asked my dh to stop making the jokes and he told me that he was trying to get me to feel better and that he did not know that it was bothering me.

So thank you for all of your help. I feel so much better today and happy that I decided to try again.

** My milk supply has started drying up. If I keep hand expressing and buy a breast pump will it come back. I have very little now but I don't want to give up***

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:49 PM
My mom. She wasn't able to breastfeed me and she was only able to do half and half with my sister. I would have to say from what she has told me the most disappointing parts were having to spend money on formula for me and not being able to feed my sister who was born under developed. She told me she did feel guilty for a long time after she started giving me formula, but she never produced milk. She just bled.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM
The only time I didn't was my first babe. I nursed two weeks and ended up with a uterine infection and babe refused the breast after that. It might have been different if I had better information/support.

If there is a real reason a mom cannot breastfed she shouldn't feel guilty, though I imagine that's hard to do.

I have two friends who tried extremely hard and just never produced milk or not enough. It was hard for them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM
I thought I couldn't then later realized it was my lack of knowledge which made me feel worse. But ive come to accept it and embrace that I do whats right at the time. If I learn better at a later time then I change.
No sense in feeling guilt in something you have no power over and circumstances you can't change
larissalarie
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I think many moms experience this and for the overwhelming majority they are led to believe this incorrectly from uneducated (about bf) medical professionals and/or family & friends giving bad info/advice. Very few women actually cannot breastfeed in spite of what so many say, but if you can't it's noting to feel guilty about. That's why formula was invented :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
girlywifey
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I think I may have given up too soon but my dd was literally starving and losing weight to the point where the hospital was talking about not letting her come home. I switched to formula and she was extremely happy. I still feel guilty but did what I thought was right. Now my dh makes little jokes about it and then gets upset when I get upset.

justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM
This.

Quoting larissalarie:

I think many moms experience this and for the overwhelming majority they are led to believe this incorrectly from uneducated (about bf) medical professionals and/or family & friends giving bad info/advice. Very few women actually cannot breastfeed in spite of what so many say, but if you can't it's noting to feel guilty about. That's why formula was invented :-)
larissalarie
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh mamma, if you hadn't even left the hospital yet they absolutely sabotaged you!! Milk takes at least a few days to come in, up to a week even, and the baby doesn't "starve" on only colostrum, it's what nature intended. I HATE that hospitals routinely do this!!!
Don't feel guilty, feel angry at that hospital.

How old is your baby now? It IS possible to relactate many times.

Quoting girlywifey:

I think I may have given up too soon but my dd was literally starving and losing weight to the point where the hospital was talking about not letting her come home. I switched to formula and she was extremely happy. I still feel guilty but did what I thought was right. Now my dh makes little jokes about it and then gets upset when I get upset.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this
How long we're you in the hospital?

Milk doesn't come in until 4-5 days pp and it is normal for a newborn to lose weight.

Quoting girlywifey:

madisonsmom2005
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM

With my DD it was very difficult to breastfeed. I understand now that it was my lack of education on it. In the hospital they really praised me on wanting to breastfeed, but never gave me good advice on how to do it properly. I was only able to do it for a month before I switched to formula. I felt like a horrible mother at the time, but my OB told me that I at least gave it a good try and not to worry about it. With my next baby I will for sure know how to do it right and I will stick with it. Just educate yourself on the subject. Also you can try to find a Le Leche League near you to talk to other moms about it. It is a wonderful support group! I wish I knew about them 7 years ago. Here is the link to their website. It is very informative. http://www.llli.org/ Good luck to you!

~Jen~ Group Owner of Bringing Birth Home.    http://www.cafemom.com/group/116103                                                                                                              I am a home birthing, breastfeeding, midwife using, cloth diapering, delayed cord cutting, natural birthing type of mama!

Pregnancy%20ticker
mjrex87
by Mindy on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM

This. The hospital told me my DD had lost too much weight and I needed to supplement with formula. Luckily, I had my midwife to help me and she got me connected with an awesome IBCLC. I DID supplement for 2 or 3 days because I was only expressing a few drops of colostrum in a day. 

Yes, it is definitely possible to relactate if you want to try breastfeeding again! Contact an IBCLC, get a good breast pump, and spend as much time as possible skin-to-skin with baby.

Quoting larissalarie:

Oh mamma, if you hadn't even left the hospital yet they absolutely sabotaged you!! Milk takes at least a few days to come in, up to a week even, and the baby doesn't "starve" on only colostrum, it's what nature intended. I HATE that hospitals routinely do this!!!
Don't feel guilty, feel angry at that hospital.

How old is your baby now? It IS possible to relactate many times.

Quoting girlywifey:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN