Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oops....

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM
  • 20 Replies

so my goal was to have my 3 year old sleeping in her own bed through the night by the time baby #2 gets here (which is still a long way away... i'm due in August).  Our routine was i'd put her in her bed and sit with her, hold her hand till she fell asleep.  I love that part and was not planning to get rid of it. But she always ends up in our bed halfway through the night.  My intention was to help her get back to sleep in her own bed and have her stay there all night.  Mostly so that when baby is born, she will sleep through the night without being woken up by a boob monger.  INSTEAD what has happened is that i put her to sleep in MY bed, sometimes with her actually lying on TOP of me and she stays in my bed ALL night instead of half the night.  how in the HELL did that happen??? LOL. truth be told, i'd sleep with that lady for the rest of my life if she'd let me. ::sigh::  am i setting us all up for disaster in August????

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brandy85412
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

just depends on if you want 2 kids in your bed......

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Exactly.

Quoting Brandy85412:

just depends on if you want 2 kids in your bed......

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:06 AM
As a mom who has 2 toddlers in her bed almost everynight, I would say yes it can be disastrous depending on your children's personalities. I could not let my oldest (who was 19 months old at the time) in bed with me when my second born was a newborn. My oldest woke up with every cry and when he does sleep he is a Tasmanian devil. Now that my youngest is 18 months old and my oldest is 3, it's a much more compatable sleeping arrangement, as long as I sleep between them. Both kids start off in their own beds, but end up in mine sometime in the night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FelixFelicis
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:38 AM

I'm due in July and I wish my 3 year old would sleep with me more often :c

Putting her to sleep in her bed is the first step (for me at least) even if she ends up in your bed half way through the night. Eventually both my girls just started sleeping all night. It took maybe 6 months. I'm not sure how I feel about my 3 year old and a newborn in my bed, but mostly because I have a twin sized bed. Maybe you can make it work.

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:58 AM

Not necessarily.. we have sleepshared with more than one child, it just takes planning and sometimes a bit of creativity. What worked for us was two cali kings pushed together.. :o)

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                         ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Clubpenguin
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:05 AM
I had my preschooler and toddler in bed when my newborn came home. They got used to it pretty quickly and slept through the feelings and diaper changes.
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Sounds like exactly what's been happening with our toddler who will be 2 next month (and I'm due in 7 weeks). He just isn't ready to sleep in his own bed all night, every night, no matter what we try.

At this point neither DH or I really want two kids in our bed, but a sane mom and everyone sleeping is more important so we're going to just go with it.

We put DS on his own mattress right next to our bed and that's been working for us. He wakes up a few times a night, usually I go to him but sometimes he just wants to be in bed with us.

FebPenguins
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Put the toddler bed up against your bed!  That is what we do. She would have her 'own'

space and you could reach out and hold her hand to comfort her.

VintageWife
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Just depends on how many you want or can fit in your bed. You can make other arrangements for her to sleep on if you don't want her in the bed. A little mattress or moon chair for her to curl up in is an idea.

SadieJames
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I need to do that for just hugely pregnant me, DH and our cat : ) 

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Not necessarily.. we have sleepshared with more than one child, it just takes planning and sometimes a bit of creativity. What worked for us was two cali kings pushed together.. :o)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)