Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

OTC meds vent!

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:11 PM
  • 10 Replies

It kills me when people give there kids all these meds that arent even right for there age.....i see people giving 1, 2 and 3 year olds cough syrup and mucinex which clearly sayfor 6 and up....do they not realize there are reasons for these reccomendations

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:16 PM
We use Hyland's cough meds for ages 2 and up. Works very well. I have also had our Doctor recommend an OTC cough med for DS when he was 3. She told us what dose to give him. He can't have artificial dyes, so he couldn't take it, but I know many Doctors who do this. :/

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JocelynsMama1
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:23 PM

if shes really sick i will use Similasan cough exptorant but never and cough syrup because you really want them to cough all that up not supress the cough (except for maybe at night to help them sleep but i havent done it yet)

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Once when my little boys were coughing so much they kept throwing up in their sleep, I gave in and took them to the doctor 'cause I was tired of dealing with vomit bedding in the middle of the night.
The doctor told us to give Delsym, which I think is a 6 and up one. They were 1 & 3 at the time. He gave the dose based on their weight, said it would work as good as any prescription. Idk, we avoid giving medications for the most part, but I did it then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:36 AM

In another group I'm in one mom was saying how she gave her 20 month old benadryl and dimatap for his cold so he would sleep on a plane ride.I had to sit on my hands to not respond to that.its makes me sick the way people medicate there babies!

MrsErdos2011
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Doctor reccomendation is different than just giving it willy nilly though. A doctor SHOULD know the dosage that would be safe for a smaller body than your average mom

Quoting RheaF:

We use Hyland's cough meds for ages 2 and up. Works very well. I have also had our Doctor recommend an OTC cough med for DS when he was 3. She told us what dose to give him. He can't have artificial dyes, so he couldn't take it, but I know many Doctors who do this. :/

I may not be a perfect wife or mother but I am perfect in the eyes of my son and my husband and that is all that matters.

JocelynsMama1
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:57 PM

i can't say whether I would have or not in that situation howver I think it is completely different when a doctor tells you to (just like if they perscribed something) versus just using it every time you kid gets the sniffles know what i mean

Quoting larissalarie:

Once when my little boys were coughing so much they kept throwing up in their sleep, I gave in and took them to the doctor 'cause I was tired of dealing with vomit bedding in the middle of the night.
The doctor told us to give Delsym, which I think is a 6 and up one. They were 1 & 3 at the time. He gave the dose based on their weight, said it would work as good as any prescription. Idk, we avoid giving medications for the most part, but I did it then.

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

JocelynsMama1
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Oh WOW I dont know if I could have bit my tongue on that one lol

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

In another group I'm in one mom was saying how she gave her 20 month old benadryl and dimatap for his cold so he would sleep on a plane ride.I had to sit on my hands to not respond to that.its makes me sick the way people medicate there babies!

Peera
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I love Hyland's! It's the only one I don't have to fight DS to get it down his throat, too. Some of the other homeopathic meds on the market though.... You may say you're "caramel banana" flavored, but all DS & I can smell/taste is the apple cider vineger, and I have yet to find any solution to getting that inside him. 

As for OTC meds, I have to agree. I've actually had people give me medicine for DS when he's sick & when I look at the label, it's 6 & up, so it goes in the cupboard, where it'll either expire or I'll use it if I feel like I'm dieing. The only exception is that he's developing summer allergies (His dad & grandpa both do too, we have a lot of scotch broom where we live.) so I consulted my pediatrician & she advised me on the correct benedryl dosage for a child his age/size. 

Quoting RheaF:

We use Hyland's cough meds for ages 2 and up. Works very well. 

CafeMom Tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:39 AM

We keep with natural and home remedies. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                         ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:40 AM

And that is, on the rare occasion one of our little ones got sick. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                         ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)