Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Meet the Midwife on Monday

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM
  • 6 Replies

I have an appointment with a potential midwife on Monday morning. She comes recommended by the doctor I saw earlier in the week. My biggest concern is how my L&D experience is going to go. I've put together a tentative list of points I want to cover with her. I've never put together a birth plan before so any input and/or feedback will be appreciated

1. Unless there is a medical need I want to wait and let labor begin on it's own
  2. I want to labor at home as long as possible and leave for the hospital/birth center when I'm in active labor, or my body is telling me it's time to go
  3. I want my boyfriend and son to be able to be with me at all times. If my son starts to get nervous or uncomfortable he'll be looked after by his grandparents
  4. I want friends and family members allowed in the room at all times
  5. I would like to wear my own clothes for labor/deliver/recovery
  6. Unless there is a medical need I only want to be examined upon my request
  7. I want intermittent monitoring so I can move around
  8. I want the option to use different labor props/techniques such as: walking, squatting, rocking, shower/tub, birthing ball, swing, breathing techniques, massage, and I'm also willing to try suggested techniques
  9. I want my bag of waters to break naturally
  10. I want to push when my body is ready to. I only want to hear encouraging words. Not someone telling me to push
  11. I want option to try different pushing positions such as: squatting, side-lying, hands and knees, slightly reclined. Basically whatever way feels most natural to me and my body
  12. I want the option of using different birthing tools such as: squat bar, birthing stool, and tub
  13. During delivery I want my boyfriend to have the option of catching the baby
  14. Upon delivery I want the baby put on my chest so he/she can be suctioned and the cord can be cut
  15. My boyfriend wants to cut the cord
  16. Unless there are complications I want the baby to stay in the room at all times. If something medical needs to be done, either I or my boyfriend want to be with him/her at all times
  17. If there are no medical needs I do not want any kind of medical intervention. This includes IV's, pain medication, forceps, and vacuums. However, if mine or the baby's health and/or safety becomes a concern I will accept medical assistance.
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM

wow, you're in three of the same groups as me! :)

vannahmarie
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

At least we won't miss anything from each other :-)

Quoting Precious333:

wow, you're in three of the same groups as me! :)

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:52 AM

Hope you have a great appointment! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                         ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

tansyflower
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM

only thing i see that you missed is delayed cord clamping!  not that you have to do it but it has great benefits :)

OMGLasersPOWPOW
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM
These are all great things. The only thing I suggest is leaving out some of the things that you can just do without having to write down. Like wearing your own clothes, and having the selected people with you, etc. It is best to keep the plan short, that way none of the important points are missed. Good luck!! Sounds like you're on your way to an awesome delivery :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
vanityrayne
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Awesome! Update after your done!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)