Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How long did it take for you to deliver your placenta?

My first birth the doctor waited a whole 9 minutes before she decided to take it out! It caused me to loose a lot of blood, go into shock and have an inverted uterus, which they had to take me to the OR and knock me out to fix, plus they gave me a blood transfusion.

My second and third birth it took a long time for me to  let go of the placenta for some reason. I don't know why that is, forget how long, maybe like 30 minutes!  Why is that? Is that just how my body is? I am hoping to find a midwife so I can do another homebirth, but if we had to go to the hospital again, I really worry that first of all, they won't let me push in the position I need to, and second, that they won't want for my placenta to deliver on my own, and put me at risk again my trying to force it out.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
littlelambe2
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM

With my first, it took about 40 mins with the doc applying light traction too the cord. With my second, my doctor applied a bit firmer traction and also massaged my uterus from the outside and it took about 25 minutes.

Since my second birth, I have been trying to research about the third stage of labor and there isn't much out there! But I'm beginning to think that my third stage took longer because once my baby was born, I decided to recline in bed and quit putting forth any effort. I don't take any drugs or medications throughout the birth process and I'm very active in labor and through delivery. My labors are shorter and both babies were pushed out within minutes. But yet I think my job is done before the placenta is expelled? Next time I think that staying upright and actively going through third phase may help. I'm trying to find as much info on the topic as I can. I labor and birth without interventions (save one VE upon admittance) and I'd like to go through third stage without ctt. 

MrsErdos2011
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM

about 15 minutes or so. From the time my son was born to the time the doctor and nurses walked out of the room after they cleaned up took about 40 mins

NDFanatik
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM

1st vaginal birth- 15mins (in hosp, no cord traction)

2nd- a little over an hour (at home, no assistance)

MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM
I hope I never ever have pit. My first birth was relatively easy though and I'm hoping the rest are similar and I really want my second to be a home birth. The first was natural but I didn't like the hospital setting, especially during recovery. However I think I needed it to feel confident since it was my first and I was super nervous.

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting MissSarah04:

I honestly have no idea. I was in an adrenaline daze and I remember her on my chest for awhile. Then they cut the cord and I nursed her I wasn't really paying attention to what my midwife was doing down there because I was over the moon in love with my baby. Lol.

I don't know if they let it come out on its own or used cord traction but I know they didn't give pitocin (which I know is standard procedure in many hospitals sadly).

yeah, they gave me pit in the hospital, but it was after the placenta was delivered.....so painful!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Mine have always delivered within probably 5 minutes? Naturally, no assistance, my body just likes to spit then out asap once it's done I guess. But I kinda spit the kids out really fast as well, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM
15-30 min for my natural births. The ones in hospital much less because OBs are impatient. My last was pretty quick though. My fastest birth that time. DS was in a hurry and the placenta followed almost immediately.
VintageWife
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I've never paid attention to the delivery of the placenta. I'll have to think about it.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM
That makes sense....i stopped putting forth muxh effort effort too after baby was born until my midwife rrminds me.

Quoting littlelambe2:

With my first, it took about 40 mins with the doc applying light traction too the cord. With my second, my doctor applied a bit firmer traction and also massaged my uterus from the outside and it took about 25 minutes.

Since my second birth, I have been trying to research about the third stage of labor and there isn't much out there! But I'm beginning to think that my third stage took longer because once my baby was born, I decided to recline in bed and quit putting forth any effort. I don't take any drugs or medications throughout the birth process and I'm very active in labor and through delivery. My labors are shorter and both babies were pushed out within minutes. But yet I think my job is done before the placenta is expelled? Next time I think that staying upright and actively going through third phase may help. I'm trying to find as much info on the topic as I can. I labor and birth without interventions (save one VE upon admittance) and I'd like to go through third stage without ctt. 

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Havinf a homebirth is so much better!!! :)

Quoting MissSarah04:

I hope I never ever have pit. My first birth was relatively easy though and I'm hoping the rest are similar and I really want my second to be a home birth. The first was natural but I didn't like the hospital setting, especially during recovery. However I think I needed it to feel confident since it was my first and I was super nervous.

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting MissSarah04:

I honestly have no idea. I was in an adrenaline daze and I remember her on my chest for awhile. Then they cut the cord and I nursed her I wasn't really paying attention to what my midwife was doing down there because I was over the moon in love with my baby. Lol.

I don't know if they let it come out on its own or used cord traction but I know they didn't give pitocin (which I know is standard procedure in many hospitals sadly).

yeah, they gave me pit in the hospital, but it was after the placenta was delivered.....so painful!

rachelrothchild
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:46 PM

My best estimate is 5-15 minutes after birth.  It didn't take long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN