Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How long did it take for you to deliver your placenta?

My first birth the doctor waited a whole 9 minutes before she decided to take it out! It caused me to loose a lot of blood, go into shock and have an inverted uterus, which they had to take me to the OR and knock me out to fix, plus they gave me a blood transfusion.

My second and third birth it took a long time for me to  let go of the placenta for some reason. I don't know why that is, forget how long, maybe like 30 minutes!  Why is that? Is that just how my body is? I am hoping to find a midwife so I can do another homebirth, but if we had to go to the hospital again, I really worry that first of all, they won't let me push in the position I need to, and second, that they won't want for my placenta to deliver on my own, and put me at risk again my trying to force it out.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
Eliots_momma
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I delivered the placenta on my own and it took about 30 mins. I think. I was too busy looking into the beautiful bleu eyes that I didnt really notice how much time had passed. :)

While breastfeeding may not seem the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby.  ~Amy Spangler

lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Do they have to tug on the cord? I had a homebirth and my midwives like tugged it out. With the first it came quickly, the second like 30 mins but it seemed like they were forcing it out and I didn't like it. They also gave me a 45 min deadline for it to come out or theyd take me to the hospital for pit. Does it even matter how long it takes?

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM
From what i hear is that some dont like to wait long because they are afraid of the mom hemoraging. Every midwife has their own comfort level on how long they will wait.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Do they have to tug on the cord? I had a homebirth and my midwives like tugged it out. With the first it came quickly, the second like 30 mins but it seemed like they were forcing it out and I didn't like it. They also gave me a 45 min deadline for it to come out or theyd take me to the hospital for pit. Does it even matter how long it takes?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Half an hour is average. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                         ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Mitzi31
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Yeah, it took about 30 mins for me too. They let me contract it out with very slight tugs. I delivered in a birth center. Of course they wanted dd to be at my breast as soon as we got in the bed from the water tub cause that helped to make it come faster. I think you're completely normal. It's best that it comes out nature calls it.

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM

My hb one took a little over an hour to deliver, I had to stand up and give a push to get it out (which obviously isn't how hospitals want you to deliver it).

JMmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM
I can't remember with my first three at all. With number 4 it felt like forever. Im pretty sure it was clos to an hour.
madisonsmom2005
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM

From what I remember mine happened within 20 minutes after my DD was born. I delivered at a hospital so I was assuming that was normal for an OB delivery.

~Jen~ Group Owner of Bringing Birth Home.    http://www.cafemom.com/group/116103                                                                                                              I am a home birthing, breastfeeding, midwife using, cloth diapering, delayed cord cutting, natural birthing type of mama!

Pregnancy%20ticker
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Now that i thjnk if it i think in the hospital she waited 19 min and at home is was over an hour.

Quoting madisonsmom2005:

From what I remember mine happened within 20 minutes after my DD was born. I delivered at a hospital so I was assuming that was normal for an OB delivery.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Now that i thjnk if it i think in the hospital she waited 19 min and at home is was over an hour.

Quoting madisonsmom2005:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN