Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How long did it take for you to deliver your placenta?

My first birth the doctor waited a whole 9 minutes before she decided to take it out! It caused me to loose a lot of blood, go into shock and have an inverted uterus, which they had to take me to the OR and knock me out to fix, plus they gave me a blood transfusion.

My second and third birth it took a long time for me to  let go of the placenta for some reason. I don't know why that is, forget how long, maybe like 30 minutes!  Why is that? Is that just how my body is? I am hoping to find a midwife so I can do another homebirth, but if we had to go to the hospital again, I really worry that first of all, they won't let me push in the position I need to, and second, that they won't want for my placenta to deliver on my own, and put me at risk again my trying to force it out.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (31-40):
Cynthje
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Im not sure, i do remember that it took no effort at all and that they just sort of came sliding out. I will have to check my records to find this one out

peaches_04
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:54 PM
About half hour
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Cord traction is NOT necessary routinely and can actually be harmful, especially if done before the placenta is fully detached.

If you wait too long, the cervix will begin to close and a D&C would be needed to remove the placenta. But 45 mins is well within the range of normal. Some practicioners worry if it takes too long because it can be an indication of bleeding behind the placenta, but isn't necessarily. There are various herbs that can be taken to help the placenta detach if needed.

Didn't your midwives carry pit with them for that purpose?

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Do they have to tug on the cord? I had a homebirth and my midwives like tugged it out. With the first it came quickly, the second like 30 mins but it seemed like they were forcing it out and I didn't like it. They also gave me a 45 min deadline for it to come out or theyd take me to the hospital for pit. Does it even matter how long it takes?

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Wow i think my dr just pulled it right out.
Cynthje
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:05 PM

:(

Quoting Sarah725:

Wow i think my dr just pulled it right out.

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

melindabelcher
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Minutes after the baby was born
mylovey
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:10 PM

It must have happened within 10 minutes. I pushed, and for whatever reason I was not getting it out. The midwife helped a little. I think it was because I was bleeding, and Fin was not interested in nursing. He seemed to want cry for a good 10-15 minutes. It looked like a lot of blood, but my midwife said it was fine. 

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

H.I.S.
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:43 AM

I had mine removed at my last birth...

The first one, I think it took about 20 minutes to deliver.

Lilypie - (VOWJ)

RochelleFS
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Don't recall 1st or 2nd but #3 took about a 1/2 hour or so, no assistance and #4 took just over an hour for my homebirth, my midwife did give me shepards purse though and it came right out soon after.
RochelleFS
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Oh and I had no bleeding until after it came out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN