Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How long did it take for you to deliver your placenta?

My first birth the doctor waited a whole 9 minutes before she decided to take it out! It caused me to loose a lot of blood, go into shock and have an inverted uterus, which they had to take me to the OR and knock me out to fix, plus they gave me a blood transfusion.

My second and third birth it took a long time for me to  let go of the placenta for some reason. I don't know why that is, forget how long, maybe like 30 minutes!  Why is that? Is that just how my body is? I am hoping to find a midwife so I can do another homebirth, but if we had to go to the hospital again, I really worry that first of all, they won't let me push in the position I need to, and second, that they won't want for my placenta to deliver on my own, and put me at risk again my trying to force it out.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (41-41):
MyIslandGirls
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:22 PM

It can take a while... my last birth.. the placenta took about 20 minutes.. but I've heard of some women's taking longer than that.

My first 2 births were retracted (i think that's the right word) meaning the OB's yanked on the umbilical cord to get the placenta out.  My last birth, i had a MW and she delayed cord cutting for about 10 minutes.. then massaged my belly... i had a huge contraction and 2 pushes later out came the placenta.

Needless to say.. I have a MW this time as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN