Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Today is the first time I have tackled the stomach bug with homeopathic remedies.

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:27 PM
  • 19 Replies
2 moms liked this
Today, my 3 year old son woke up at 3:30 am vomiting in his bed. After the third time changing his sheets (he would fall asleep, so would I, and then he would throw up in his bed), I decided to give him a hylands motion sickness tablet. It gave him about 4 hours of good sleep before he woke up throwing up again. I tried to dilute coconut water in water, but he only wanted a pedialyte Popsicle (they are left over from a long time ago). He was sick on and off all day, finally by evening he was perking up. I gave him a bath and put a few drops of peppermint and TTO in his water. I got the bathroom all steamy and warm, and it smelled delicious in there. When I washed him down, I put one drop of peppermint and TTO in the soap. He is still lethargic, but he hasn't vomited anymore.
Two years ago, I would not have had any of those EO's or the hylands tablet. I probably would have given him pedialyte all day without trying coconut water first. Also, I probably would have given him Tylenol, just because he was sick.
Does anyone have any other suggestions in helping your Lo's beat the sickies?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM
I'm sorry he's sick! We don't ever get stomach bugs here (ok one kid one time), so I've got nothin', but it sounds like you're doing great :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:23 AM
How do you avoid the stomach bug?
It seems to attack our family at least once a year.
I'm pretty sure he caught it in the plane ride back from Cali, despite my best efforts to keep his hands clean. Now I'm just hoping my 18 month old doesn't catch it because he found a cookie on the airplane floor and ate it. I was super grossed out.

Btw- how are you?

Quoting larissalarie:

I'm sorry he's sick! We don't ever get stomach bugs here (ok one kid one time), so I've got nothin', but it sounds like you're doing great :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Idk how we avoid it. I'm super un-worried about germs and don't stress about hand washing at all, never use anything antibacterial anymore (bad mommy, I know), so maybe that's it? When my almost 14 year old was a little thing I was WAY more worried about germs & disinfecting and she was constantly sick, although it was mainly respiratory stuff not stomach.
My boys also like to do disgusting things like drink their bathwater when I'm not looking, so that might scare away the viruses as well, lol.

I'm doing ok I suppose, thanks for asking. Things are stressful, but fine :-)

Quoting hapababies:

I'm pretty sure he caught it in the plane ride back from Cali, despite my best efforts to keep his hands clean. Now I'm just hoping my 18 month old doesn't catch it because he found a cookie on the airplane floor and ate it. I was super grossed out.

Btw- how are you?

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Offer expressed breastmilk, if available.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                         ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry he is under the weather..  hope he feels better soon! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                         ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Make sure you dilute those bath oils in a carrier! (sorry, had to say it, the pep could burn his skin otherwise)

Mangoes and antiviral and loaded with vit a and c, so I get a bunch of those. I massage oil into bellies, I offer breast milk, and depending on age a little Cham tea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM
My hands were all tingly after I washed him down with the peppermint and soap conction. I didn't realize that one drop was so powerful. I will use a carrier next time, thanks :)

Quoting jellyphish:

Make sure you dilute those bath oils in a carrier! (sorry, had to say it, the pep could burn his skin otherwise)

Mangoes and antiviral and loaded with vit a and c, so I get a bunch of those. I massage oil into bellies, I offer breast milk, and depending on age a little Cham tea.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm still nursing my 18 month old, so I can do that. Thank you for the suggestion :)

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Offer expressed breastmilk, if available.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Lol! My boys drink bath water too.

Quoting larissalarie:

Idk how we avoid it. I'm super un-worried about germs and don't stress about hand washing at all, never use anything antibacterial anymore (bad mommy, I know), so maybe that's it? When my almost 14 year old was a little thing I was WAY more worried about germs & disinfecting and she was constantly sick, although it was mainly respiratory stuff not stomach.

My boys also like to do disgusting things like drink their bathwater when I'm not looking, so that might scare away the viruses as well, lol.

I'm doing ok I suppose, thanks for asking. Things are stressful, but fine :-)

Quoting hapababies:

Btw- how are you?

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessica1219
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:14 AM

YAY! Great job mama! I really don't care about germs either. It seems we get sick in waves.. some years we aren't sick at all. Others we are sick over and over. Anyway, we use essential oils for everything. 

For ear infections, breastmilk in the ear.

Lemon water is good for nausea.

peppermint & lavender are good for fevers. 

We recently had a cold from an airplane.. (Well, my kids were sick for like, half a day. I wasn't so lucky, I was sick for like three days.) I put thieves on the kids, along with peace and calming. They were good!

Also, elderberry tea is great. Especially if it has echinacea and thyme in it. :) 

So, don't be mad jellyphish but I have to say it... Depending on the brand of oils you're using, you may or may not need a carrier. If you're using therapeutic oils in a bath, you need to mix it with Epsom salt first, so the heat doesn't change the molecules and render them useless. We use all high quality oils here, and we rarely need dilution. Even on my littles. And oh yes, we all have uber sensitive skin. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)