Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I have a stupid question

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:49 AM
  • 22 Replies
My first two kids were hospital births with interventions but they were both vaginal deliveries. I have an amazing midwife this time.

With my older two the "practice" pushes caused me to have a BM. This is common, I understand.

I was just wondering how much more or less common it is when you are 100% natural in your delivery. Basically, if you were free to move around, no meds, and you only pushed when your body said so, did you still have a BM? It's a stupid question and one of those "fears" that many have. I just want to be mentally prepared.
TIA, I know this can be embarassing to discuss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BritsNpieces909
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Hi! I'm brand new, just signed up. I feel ya on the bm, I had that, pee and gas!!! Lol plus I threw up and shot amniotic fluid everywhere, sorry that was probably TMI! As far as your question. I've herd that it makes no difference. I had a few friends with home births and birthing centers and some did some didn't. To me it seems like you would be at more risk to because if your not in the hospital your allowed to eat and drink throughout L&D
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:49 AM
1 mom liked this

*******THIS REPLY IS VERY TMI********

but we're adults. And no one seems to ever tell the truth about this sort of thing. 

With my first, I did not have a bm during delivery. In fact (tmi) I had a normal bm a few hrs after delivery and noticed that it looked like it was in the large intestine for a while, but my body had stopped it from progressing, if you kwim. I thought, "sweet! I'm not a pooper!!"

Second birth. Uhhh. I'm pretty sure I had a bm during delivery. Although, after baby was born and I asked the doc "was that me?" And he said, "nope, that was all baby" uhhhh. I know baby had a bm upon exit, but I'm sure I did too. My fears were confirmed when I showered. (Tmi) I had some remnants smooshed between the cheeks. I had an odd labor because baby was posterior (sunny side up) and not engaged for a long time, making my ctx stay at 7-10 mins apart. I even had a bm on the toilet during labor. Baby turned, engaged, and was born in 40 mins so I think my body didn't have the time to naturally stop up the back end. 

So, in conclusion, sorry if all that was tmi. Just answered to say it could happen, it may not. With both labors and deliveries, I was active, moving around, ate during labor, labored and pushed in upright positions, and had no IV, drugs, meds, etc. 

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM
I don't know if I had a bm with my first (typical hospital birth with pit and stadol but no epi).
And the only way I know I had one with my second (natural get to move at free will birth) is because after a have birth my daughter climbed into bed with us and said "mommy, you pooped in the tub."

I have never heard if anyone being pushed to have a bm though. You mean they made you do it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina.2006
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM
No I wasn't forced to have one. I had to do practice pushes (I was dilated fully but no desire to push so my ob would make me practice push) I think the pushing before I was ready caused me to BM. Does that make sense?

Quoting jellyphish:

I don't know if I had a bm with my first (typical hospital birth with pit and stadol but no epi).

And the only way I know I had one with my second (natural get to move at free will birth) is because after a have birth my daughter climbed into bed with us and said "mommy, you pooped in the tub."

I have never heard if anyone being pushed to have a bm though. You mean they made you do it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Oh. Wow. I've never heard of that. That can aggravate hemms and tearing I'd imagine.

Quoting ballerina.2006:

No I wasn't forced to have one. I had to do practice pushes (I was dilated fully but no desire to push so my ob would make me practice push) I think the pushing before I was ready caused me to BM. Does that make sense?

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JocelynsMama1
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

im curious to see where this post goes because I have no clue if it decreases your chances...but I had a completely natural birth and was even told i couldnt push when fully dialated because i had progressed too fast and we were still waiting on my midwife....the minute she walked in the room she said i could push because she knew i was absolutely ready and i pushed when i felt the need not coached and didnt have a BM

Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM

From what I hear it's about 50/50. I would speculate that in a homebirth a mom would be more comfortable going to the bathroom when needed vs. being stuck in bed with an epidural, so she might be less likely to have one.

btw the whole "practice pushing" thing sounds really dumb and could actually be dangerous - if you're dilated and baby isn't coming yet, it's because your uterus is gearing up for the final pushes and/or baby's head is still molding to fit through the pelvis. Pushing when you don't have the urge could result in cerebral hemorrhage for the baby, postpartum hemorrhage for mom, maternal exhaustion, etc.

My guess is that the BM would have happened whether you "practice pushed" or not.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM

4 medicated hospitals births and no BM while pushing so I dunno lol, but I know its normal and doctors and midwives think nothing of it

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Our last birth was UC at home- my husband had to clean up my BM before baby came. I did "empty out" quite a bit before delivery, too.
imtheonlysane1
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I have had 4 babies and never had to do "practice pushes" nor have I ever heard of that ...seems odd they would have you do that considering it wouldn't be very good on your body. I have never had a BM during delivery but I have heard of others having one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN