Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

11 month old up 5+ times/night

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:54 AM
  • 12 Replies
Please help. My son (our third child) has never been a good sleeper. He currently is awake at least 5 times a night to comfort nurse. We share a room with ds in a crib right next to our bed. He will not co sleep and nurse to sleep while laying next to me (attempting to do so results in him screaming).

I try to let him fuss-it-out for a few minutes but he inevitably starts screaming, stands up and shakes his crib. I do not mind and totally respect his need to wake up 1, 2, even 3 times a night. But 5 or more is too much.

I have eliminated eggs and dairy from my diet months ago. I have cut coffee out as of yesterday in hopes that it may help (any advice for the intense headache?? I'm on day 2- everything I read says after the third day it subsides).

I need help. I need sleep. Thank you all for your advice and input.
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:57 AM
Have you tried moving him to his own room
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Quoting melindabelcher:

Have you tried moving him to his own room

I am considering this. I would live for him to share a room with his siblings (2yo and 5 yo) but I'm afraid he would keep them up all night. Our only other option is to move him to a bedroom downstairs, by himself.
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:04 AM
I would try the bedroom downstairs. Start with naps in there. Any way you can sleep on a bed/couch etc down there to see how it goes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM
What does he do when he wakes up?

I'm sorry you're going through this. My two younger kids are awful sleepers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with moving him to his own room. My oldest always slept well, but my younger 2 were normal. They each came to point where they just couldn't/wouldn't sleep if they were in my room, even in a separate bed (that's actually the worst part of traveling for us, being in one room they sleep horrible)

That said, at only 11 months, he really might still need to wake up 5 times a night. My second child was up 10 times a night his whole first year, was 18 months before he slept through at all and 2 before it was a regular thing.

Quoting melindabelcher:

I would try the bedroom downstairs. Start with naps in there. Any way you can sleep on a bed/couch etc down there to see how it goes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Is this new, the 5 times a night?
It may just be a phase, all my children went threw little phases at around 6, 12 and 15months where they woke up a lot more then usual.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HamBergerMama
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:12 PM
My Michael did this for close to a month he went from waking 0-2 times a night to 5+.

To say it was exhausting is an understatement. His diet hasn't changed or anything like that. But once he hit a year old he just switched back to sleeping normally. At 15 mo he is sleeping through the night again.

All that to say, maybe this is a phase? Teeth? Or possibly getting ready for big developmental change.,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Quoting jconney80:

The last few days he would just comfort nurse. Last night and tonight he has been screaming inconsolably for 5-15 minutes. He won't fully wake up and will not comfort nurse or calm down with any of our typical techniques. It is kinda scary.

Maybe he is teething? Idk, this is new territory for me.
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Thank you all for your input. I may try moving him downstairs in the next month or so if he is still having a hard time sleeping.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:58 PM
It could be teething! My youngest is 15 months and goes through periods of her molars bothering her. Today she was especially grumpy. But really5x at 11 months could be normal.

Quoting bloomsr:

Quoting jconney80:

The last few days he would just comfort nurse. Last night and tonight he has been screaming inconsolably for 5-15 minutes. He won't fully wake up and will not comfort nurse or calm down with any of our typical techniques. It is kinda scary.

Maybe he is teething? Idk, this is new territory for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)