Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

who, why, again?

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM
mel
  • 44 Replies
Who was present for your labor and delivery?
why was each person there?
Would you have it the same way again? Why/why not? What would you plan for next time if different?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piwife
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
My first 2 my hubby and the staff, my third my hubby , staff and doula. I would have had a doula or 3 and probably would have gone natural with the first 2 like I did with my third
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
First- hubs, mom, and my dad until delivery. My sis and SIL were in and out too, but they were both pregnant and I was using clary sage, so they couldn't stay in long.

Second- hubs, daughter, and my mom arrived when she was half way out.

I don't mind having a few close people around like that. And I was soooo happy my daughter was there and sooooo proud of how awesome she was the whole time. Everyone else I didn't really care either way about to be honest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Present/why: me-kind of obv why lol. Dh-wanted to be there and active dr/midwife-guidance and assist with delivery. Baby nurse-protocol mom nurse-protocol.

Ehhh im not sure. In theory we would like me/dh/midwife/doula or labor aide. We hear of ppl having their whole family surrounding/supporting/strengthening them and it seems nice and sweet. I wish it was something i could/would do but ppl inhibit my ability to cope even with dh there im less strong. And i dont find either of our families over syportive and im a pretty proudful srubborn person. I would like my children to be there so we'd need a person for them in any future deliveries.

Just thinking, nothing anytime soon. lol.
OMGLasersPOWPOW
Really DON'T want to deal with her level of crazy.... vacation is too close...
Sunday at 8:50 PM
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
1st my mom, my best friend, and my daughter's dad.
2nd was just my husband
I was happy with both
vanityrayne
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
1st dd- hubby and my parents. Dad stayed at my head and took the very first pic:) it was perfect. I felt like my mom should be there since she gave birth to me and she deserves to see her first grandchild. My in laws wanted nothing to do w it. So didn't see them at all.

2nd dd- hubby,dd,parents and my twin brother! Haha! My twin brother was in town due to his work (EMT) and stopped by to see us. I labored so fast. I labored more than half at home. I went from 8 cm to pushing in 5 minutes and I pushed twice and she was here! Lol. He didn't have time to leave. So he held my hand and hubby held my other hand. My mom was holding our older dd and dad was at my head again. When she arrived my oldest dd immediately took to her! I got to hold both my girls. Tho she got upset bc she thought she had a "booboo". We had to tell her she was ok, just needed a bath haha. I wouldn't change anything! Med free as well.
corbysmom531
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting melindabelcher:

Who was present for your labor and delivery?  My husband and best girl friend

why was each person there?  Husband - obvious reasons.  My best friend, because my husband doesn't do well will medical stuff, and I really wanted her there to help me through the scary stuff.  She didn't get there till after my epidural (that I was planning on not having) but she was a great support to both of us when my baby almost died a few times.  We share the same faith too.

Would you have it the same way again? Why/why not? What would you plan for next time if different? I'm pregnant right now, planning a birth center natural birth, and I invited my friend to be there again.  She knows why I want a natrual birth, and I think she'll be a great help if not to me, but to my husband.  She may not be able to be there, and I'm okay with that too.  My mom lived across the country with my first, but now lives a mile away.  I wanted her there, but she's too chicken to see me in pain, so she won't be there.  And then I was hoping my 16 year old sister would want to be there, but her anxiety has her second guessing.  I only want people there who are okay with me yelling and screaming at them to get out if I end up not wanting them there.  lol

illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
i had my mom, DH, 2 midwives and 2 dogs:-)

Probably the same crew when I have another. If I lived closer to family, my sisters would also be invited.
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Other than all the obvious players:
1st my Mom
2nd daughter (sister was supposed to, but didn't make it in time)
3rd sister finally got in on one :-) (mother & daughter wanted to be there, but ultimately chose sleep when it became a 3 AM thing)

They were there because they wanted to be. The first in hindsight I would've let my sister be there (she was only 11 and wanted to be there, but I was embarrassed enough at the thought of medical professionals & my mother being there). Otherwise, I'm fine with how it was. I don't know how the next will go. There's no extended family near anymore to be there and definitely not the kinda friends you have see THAT. I could wind up going completely solo since someone will have to be with the little boys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
My mom was. Well, the first time I went to the hospital while in labor DF brought me. I was there for the night, but they sent me home in the morning because I wasn't progressing. That night, I made my mom take me back in because DF HATES hospitals, they completely freak him out and I didn't want him to have to be there unless we knew for sure she was coming lol. I ended up being rushed in for an emergency csection not long after I was admitted. DF made it to the hospital a minute too late, my mom had already suited up and they already had me open. I guess it's a good thing though, it was a very traumatizing birth. My blood pressure dropped dangerously low, I was projectile vomiting during it, dd was born with no pulse covered in meconium. DF would not have been able to keep his composure seeing me and especially dd is such distress. He did get to be the first to hold her though once they got her breathing again and gave her extra oxygen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh and next baby I will try my best for a vbac. If I can, I'd like my mom and DF in there. My mom does a great job in keeping me calm and focused in stressful situations, and obviously DF should be there because it's his baby lol. It'd be a tough choice if I were to have another csection. I think I'd let DF make the choice as to whether he would feel up to being in there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)