Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

pacis...ugggh.

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM
  • 24 Replies

a good friend on facebook is freaking out because her 2 week old wont get off her boob and wants to give a paci.  i explained to her that her daughters bevahior was totally normal and by giving a paci at this point it can caise latch issues and could potentially cause supply issues since that is why baby is suckling nonstop, to establish her supply.  so of course RIGHT AWAY you have three mom who chime and and say "well i gave mine a paci in the hospital and they turned out fine"....so what is a not rude way of reinforcing what i said?

i know that not ALL babies will have an issue with pacis, but why set yourself up to have to deal with a latch or supply issue if you could possibly avoid it? help me out ladies!

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Say this:

i know that not ALL babies will have an issue with pacis, but why set yourself up to have to deal with a latch or supply issue if you could possibly avoid it?

And maybe add that this behavior is like placing an order, she's letting her body know how much milk she needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM

thanks for the advise!  i know the ladies commenting mean well.  i see it a lot where a bfing mom will say stuff like "well my dh gave a bottle during the night for me and my supply was fine" but i dont  think they realize that not everyone will have that same experience and that "advise" like that can really hurt another mother bfing relationship. 

i guess i am more paranoid when it comes to the worst case scenerios lol!

Quoting jellyphish:

Say this:

i know that not ALL babies will have an issue with pacis, but why set yourself up to have to deal with a latch or supply issue if you could possibly avoid it?

And maybe add that this behavior is like placing an order, she's letting her body know how much milk she needs.

mylilprincesses
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM

with my youngest.. i was so determined to NOT give her a paci at all.. BUT.. i would feed her then lay her down then she would wake back up.. without that paci.. i wouldn't be able to sleep.. or take care of my other two kids...cause she likes to suck on something the whole time she is sleeping. my baby girl never had latching problems or supply issues.

tansyflower
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

i am not saying that a paci will a 100% cause latch issues or supply problems.  but it WILL increase the chances greatly and i feel like it does a diservice to a mom who is struggling with a new baby to say that because you didnt have problems then she wont either.  does that make sense?

giving accurate breastfeeding advise vs personal opinion is what i am trying to address in a respectful manner.

Quoting mylilprincesses:

with my youngest.. i was so determined to NOT give her a paci at all.. BUT.. i would feed her then lay her down then she would wake back up.. without that paci.. i wouldn't be able to sleep.. or take care of my other two kids...cause she likes to suck on something the whole time she is sleeping. my baby girl never had latching problems or supply issues.

cemcnair
by Courtney on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this
That's why co sleeping/bed sharing rocks!

Quoting mylilprincesses:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Khelmoria
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM

My babies would never give me the chance...they hate paci's

Magnolia7
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Well, we all know that "fine" is quite subjective and those moms may very well have just turned to formula.  The thing is that some babies will have terrible latch issues and there's no way to tell which baby it's going to be.  Why take the risk?  Besides, the first 4-6 weeks are all about establishing supply, after that she can relax a bit. 

And, umm, maybe the baby is nursing because it's hungry?  A paci doesn't provide milk so if baby is hungry, the paci won't do.

mylilprincesses
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Quoting cemcnair:

Quoting mylilprincesses:

i am not like every other mother who just lay and bf then go back to sleep just not that easy for me.
cemcnair
by Courtney on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Sorry :( it really is wonderful though if you can do it-way more sleep!

Quoting mylilprincesses:

Quoting cemcnair:

Quoting mylilprincesses:

i am not like every other mother who just lay and bf then go back to sleep just not that easy for me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I keep hearing the same thing in my DDG too.

It might help to remind her that the first few weeks of BF are really intense, but it won't always be this way! Encourage her to get PP help and try babywearing. Lots of BF now will help her long-term supply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN