Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Glucola Alternative

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM
  • 5 Replies

I'm 25 weeks preggo, and my midwife brought up the diabetes testing thing.  She doesn't like to give out the glucola, but some moms opt for it because it's easier.  I have a history of diabetes, but so far my fasting sugars have been really low this pregnancy.  The problem I'm having is tolerating carbs, so she really wants me to test for it.  She gave me a couple different options, but I'm not sure which to take.

She said that I could monitor myself for a week.  Eat like I normally do, sugars and everything, and test myself before and after every time something passes my lips.  The problem with this is that I eat so often, it's really hard to get a one-hour reading on me.

Another option she gave is to eat a big meal typical of the highest sugar/carb content I usually eat, then come in for a blood draw.  Problem with this is that it changes so often, I wouldn't know what to eat.

Those are the only two options I remember getting.  She said that drinking the glucola/apple juice/soda thing and then getting a blood draw usually causes elevated numbers because it's not something your body is used to, so it's important to test after something that you normally do. 

What do you think is the best way to test for it?  If I didn't have such a strong type 2 diabetes history, and if I weren't dumping more glucose in my urine, I wouldn't worry too much, but I think I need to figure it out.

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM
I would think the first option would give you the most accuracy but be a pain.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM
I did a blood draw after an eight hr fast (so before breakfast). No glucola, no weird eating instructions, just a blood draw first thing in the morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corbysmom531
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM

That's no different than a fasting sugar level for me, which have all been really low.  She wants to see how I'm tolerating carbs.

Quoting jellyphish:

I did a blood draw after an eight hr fast (so before breakfast). No glucola, no weird eating instructions, just a blood draw first thing in the morning.

marynash88
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I did the 2nd option. Sucked for a week because I was more of a snacker but it didnt result in any bogus off the wall numbers. 

Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Monitoring yourself over a week seems to be the most accurate.

You might also consider eliminating/significantly reducing wheat and other grains in your diet. Contrary to mainstream diet advice, it *is* healthy to go without, and enables you to have more room for foods with a higher nutrient density.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN