Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

visitors

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM
  • 27 Replies
How much time do you like alone with new baby before the visitors start rolling in?
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
About 4 seconds?
Visitors don't bother me, being alone doesn't bother me. It's all good and I see the positive in either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina.2006
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM
I liked the visitors the first day or two with my 2 hospital births but not for a week or two after getting home. I have no idea what my preference will be after a birth center birth (free standing).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM
I like a lot of visitors at the hospital so they will leave me alone for a while when i get home.
JMmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol. This is me too. I prefer to have time to get cleaned up a little but generally speaking the more the merrier.

Quoting larissalarie:

About 4 seconds?
Visitors don't bother me, being alone doesn't bother me. It's all good and I see the positive in either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I'm dreading visitors.  Not so much at the hospital but when we get home my ILs are coming for a few days.  I have to learn to bf, cloth diaper and be a mom in front of my MIL and FIL.  I don't feel comfortable bfing in front of FIL either so that means going upstairs to feed LO.  

BlessedMammaof2
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Everyone was at the door when I delivered DS and were in the room 10-15 minutes later. At the time I didn't mind. But the following days there was always someone in my room and I got very little rest. If it were one or two it wouldn't have been so bad but it was more like 4 or more all the time (except for the hospitals family hour) because everyone was visiting from out of state. Mom, dad, sister, 2 brothers, SIL, nephew, MIL, SFIL, and a few friends.

With this one due in May we are having a homebirth and I don't want visitors the day of delivery and probably 2-7 days afterward. We live out of state so anyone visiting will likely try to be house guests. Though there is a hilton a few blocks away I may insist people stay there so I have some place to send them when I've had enough. Depends greatly on how I feel afterward though. My mom and MIL have been invited to attend the birth. Either or both of them will stay several days to a week I'm sure.
Nee86
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM
I didn't mind people coming right after dd was born. What bugged me was people would be in th hospital room ALL NIGHT. Dd was early and had to be feed every 2 hours. On top of that, I had nurses and doctors coming in at all hours checking my vitals and dd vitals because of a complication after birth.
When we got home, oh my gosh!! Dh and I were about to kill someone! Everyone came from out of state and would stop off at the house unannounced. Some of these family members expected me to be the perfect little hostess and would get mad at me if I asked my husband to feed the chickens or go get something out of the garden. Yet, none of these people offered to help or anything. The only ones who help were my grandparents and my grandpa had had major brain surgery 6 weeks earlier.
Next time around, I refuse to have anyone here. We might allow my fil because he has a trailer he will park in our back yard and stay in there. Plus him and dd have a very special relationship and she will be more then willing to stay with her Grampy. Dh and I have talked about staggering when everyone will come visit and we are hoping everyone will do what we say and not do what my mil does. "But I'm the grandma and I deserve to be there." Yeah, that doesn't fly.
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM
We go home so quick theres no point in visitors
littlelambe2
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I come home from the hospital same day. If it were up to me, we wouldn't tell anyone I was in labor, and no one could visit for the first couple days! Haha. But I compromise. Only baby's grandparents are allowed to visit in the hospital. The inlaws are nuts and want to wait in the waiting room while I deliver. My dad and step mom usually come after baby has been born. After I shower and get cleaned up I accept visitors. They usually only stay for half hr to and hr. during the first week home, only immediate family visits. Ie our parents, siblings, niece and nephews, grandparents. I feel great after baby, and everyone is respectful and doesn't stay long, so it all works out. 

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM

As much as possible - skin to skin, time alone, and time for BFing is really important to me.

DS1 was born at a hospital and we didn't have any visitors for the whole first day. It was so nice to just enjoy being our little family and not dealing with anyone else.

DS2 will be born at home and I'd like at least a few hours before my inlaws bring our toddler to see us and then visit themselves. I'll be asking my parents to stay at home for a few days since they live in another state and will end up staying with us for a few days. I don't want house guests but kinda have to put up with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)