Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

My Confession, I need help.

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM
  • 46 Replies

I don't know how to eat healthy. I need to learn how to eat healthy. I don't know how.

I don't know how to cook, except for unhealthy things.

I am awful about trying new things. I like chicken nuggets, Ramen noodles, microwaved food, sugar. I don't like avocado, unmelted cheese (a weird quirk of mine), and much healthy stuff.

It needs to change. I don't want my son to have my bad eating habits, especially because I don't want to vaccinate him so he needs to eat healthy for his immune system.

I need to learn how to change this... I need someone to teach me. I *know* it's not healthy. But *knowing* what to do, and *doing* it... are two different things.

I recently started eating whole wheat bread, which was a big switch for me.

But I'm hungry right now, and I'm about to nuke a can of Beefaroni and hate myself for it.

Help me. Who wants to teach me how to eat healthy and naturally??

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swmmra
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Start by seeing what things that you would cook in the microwave and try to amek them at home. You can mae chicken nuggets, french fries (baked), even a Botini ravioli is better then the canned stuff. Google simple sauce recipies. You can find simple spaghetti, alfredo, cheese sauces that use more friendly products then what you are eating right now. It is going to take some work but if you are committed to doing it then you can do it. Start small, don't make too so many changes that you get over whelmed. Make spaghetti and shred in veggies to the sauce.

larissalarie
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:15 PM
I'm not the best, but I can try :-)
As far as the taste, you just have to make yourself. Eventually you'll learn to like it, but there's no magic remedy.
I'll try to find a website with simple recipes that you can follow.

Here is a link to a shopping list a did one week on my blog. It was about saving money, but maybe it'll help you get ideas:
http://anothermomblogtalesfromanordinarylife.blogspot.com/2012/12/grocery-shopping-with-tight-budget.html?m=1
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:16 PM
For me it starts with grocery shopping. I buy fresh foods.....stay on the outside of the store to shop and i go witg sales as well since we are on a tight budget. Finding good healthy recipes too....there are a few good websites and blogs that can help.with that. If you dpnt have much time in the day then the crockpot is a lifesaver!

One meal i have been doing is spagetti and you can use whole wheat pasra or quinea pasta wity tomato sauce with vegetables mixed in (i use swiss chard, mushrooms, shredded carrots) and you can add ground beef or any kind of meat.

Anothet favorite recipe my husband loves is crockpot chicken seasoned with garlic, salt,pepper and minced onion. Cut up the chicken and mix wiyh rice (you can use brown rice, quinea is good too) and add some of the broth
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Oops i sen on accident....

Anyways, for the xhicken and rice you can sautee onions, bacon and mushrooms. And then serve a salad on the side.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM
I always want to eat healthier after a fast, because my body has been cleared of crap and wants healthy fuel. If you're otherwise healthy and not pregnant or nursing, can do a fast in the spring. Don't do it mid flu season though, you'll get sick.

In the meantime, cut try experimenting with healthy foods you do like.

GL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NowImAMom...
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I'm trying to go slow, that's why I switched to whole wheat bread at first.

Part of my problem too is that my food budget is small, and I have a tiny cabinet to put it in because I live with my mom atm.

And I'm lazy. I hate cooking because whenever I go to do dishes, the sink is full (my mom, her DF, and 3 kids are here) and I don't want to do all the dishes so I can cook my own stuff.

I really gotta change it though. I can try and find a simple chicken nugget recipe... That might be an ok start.

Thanks for responding.

Quoting swmmra:

Start by seeing what things that you would cook in the microwave and try to amek them at home. You can mae chicken nuggets, french fries (baked), even a Botini ravioli is better then the canned stuff. Google simple sauce recipies. You can find simple spaghetti, alfredo, cheese sauces that use more friendly products then what you are eating right now. It is going to take some work but if you are committed to doing it then you can do it. Start small, don't make too so many changes that you get over whelmed. Make spaghetti and shred in veggies to the sauce.

CafeMom Tickers
NowImAMom...
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look through that. I have about $40-$50 a week for groceries for myself and my 8 month old (so mostly me, he's not a big food eater).

Quoting larissalarie:

I'm not the best, but I can try :-)
As far as the taste, you just have to make yourself. Eventually you'll learn to like it, but there's no magic remedy.
I'll try to find a website with simple recipes that you can follow.

Here is a link to a shopping list a did one week on my blog. It was about saving money, but maybe it'll help you get ideas:
http://anothermomblogtalesfromanordinarylife.blogspot.com/2012/12/grocery-shopping-with-tight-budget.html?m=1

CafeMom Tickers
NowImAMom...
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have a crock pot, but it's worth looking into, I think.

Whole wheat pasta... I should switch to that next.

Quoting Precious333:

For me it starts with grocery shopping. I buy fresh foods.....stay on the outside of the store to shop and i go witg sales as well since we are on a tight budget. Finding good healthy recipes too....there are a few good websites and blogs that can help.with that. If you dpnt have much time in the day then the crockpot is a lifesaver!

One meal i have been doing is spagetti and you can use whole wheat pasra or quinea pasta wity tomato sauce with vegetables mixed in (i use swiss chard, mushrooms, shredded carrots) and you can add ground beef or any kind of meat.

Anothet favorite recipe my husband loves is crockpot chicken seasoned with garlic, salt,pepper and minced onion. Cut up the chicken and mix wiyh rice (you can use brown rice, quinea is good too) and add some of the broth

CafeMom Tickers
NowImAMom...
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I don't even know how to do a fast... Good idea though. I am nursing though, so I gotta wait until little man weans. Might be a couple years! lol

Quoting jellyphish:

I always want to eat healthier after a fast, because my body has been cleared of crap and wants healthy fuel. If you're otherwise healthy and not pregnant or nursing, can do a fast in the spring. Don't do it mid flu season though, you'll get sick.

In the meantime, cut try experimenting with healthy foods you do like.

GL.

CafeMom Tickers
mommy_2_be_2010
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Join the dinner ideas group
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN